Curious About Lungless Salamanders

AidanD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aidan
I've recently gotten back into the newt/salamander hobby with the introduction of some Triturus marmoratus to my collection. They are going well so far, and I'm hoping to get into something new and different. I have a spare 36 gallon bowfront aquarium that can act as either an aquarium, paludarium, or terrarium depending on what I end up getting to stock it. Back to the point, I've always been fascinated by Plethodontids, though my geographic region doesn't yield any for my own personal collection nor have I ever seen CB individuals for sale. To anyone who does have experience I'm curious: Do you recommend these animals for an intermediate keeper such as myself, and if so is it possible to find them captive bred? I'm interested in learning what species are good for newbies to Plethodontids, what species might work for the housing I mentioned, and troubleshooting for their care.

Thank you!

The only Plethodontids I've kept have been red backed salamanders. They seem easy enough. I did not breed them.
Few people breed Plethodontids. However, there is an individual who was advertising several species a while back, who you might contact.
Here's a link to the website:

I've recently gotten back into the newt/salamander hobby with the introduction of some Triturus marmoratus to my collection. They are going well so far, and I'm hoping to get into something new and different. I have a spare 36 gallon bowfront aquarium that can act as either an aquarium, paludarium, or terrarium depending on what I end up getting to stock it. Back to the point, I've always been fascinated by Plethodontids, though my geographic region doesn't yield any for my own personal collection nor have I ever seen CB individuals for sale. To anyone who does have experience I'm curious: Do you recommend these animals for an intermediate keeper such as myself, and if so is it possible to find them captive bred? I'm interested in learning what species are good for newbies to Plethodontids, what species might work for the housing I mentioned, and troubleshooting for their care.

Thank you!
I havent been on here in a long time, but I run Indoor Ecosystems. A 36 gallon tank would make a nice display for something like Eurycea lucifuga, that is colorful, active, and would use the vertical space that tank provides. I do breed them and usually have them available.

Reactions: sde
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back