Cutting up worms

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
I must be pretty cold-hearted, I feel no compasion for the worms. I just cut 'em up. You're feeding them to a salamander that eats them alive, and the worm is getting burned up in stomach acid. It dies either way.:D

Little Girl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Little Girl
This has been such a helpful thread for me. You guys saved me some money because I, too, was considering buying a "choppy-slicey-thingie" to try to chop up the worms but now I know I just gotta gut it out. Oh well LOL

AuSu

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Auli
I'm happy I found this thread - cutting a worm in two pieces has been ok but big worm, small bites was a combination that I couldn't figure out. Until today :) after reading these advice, I took my scissors and a small glass mug (old baby food container), worm, cutting...voila! It worked out fine! Thanks!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The scissors-in-the-jar method has stood the test of time. That's what I always do since these early days of experimentation ("dawn" is me from my early days on caudata.org). I got shot glasses instead of plastic film canisters, fearing that microscopic bits of plastic would get cut up with the worms. Also, what is this ancient thing you call "film"? I haven't purchased a canister of film in a long long time. Really long. I also use those tiny jelly jars that are sold in souvenir shops (the really really small ones, that hold about a shot's worth of jelly). I've dropped and broken plenty through the years, so I always pick a few up when I find them.

Rupert

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Display Name
Rupert
The scissors-in-the-jar method has stood the test of time. That's what I always do since these early days of experimentation ("dawn" is me from my early days on caudata.org). I got shot glasses instead of plastic film canisters, fearing that microscopic bits of plastic would get cut up with the worms. Also, what is this ancient thing you call "film"? I haven't purchased a canister of film in a long long time. Really long. I also use those tiny jelly jars that are sold in souvenir shops (the really really small ones, that hold about a shot's worth of jelly). I've dropped and broken plenty through the years, so I always pick a few up when I find them.

10 years of experience and knowledge right there :cool:

Roygbiv

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mabe put them in magic bullet? :eek: freeze them in those small cubes from the blood worm packs and then just shave of what u need? I just throw up in my mouth, hate chopping worms up too..... I newts like it tho

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    So, what sex do we think my lil Mew is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • ChloeAnna:
    I have no idea what I’m doing 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t know how to work this website 😅 sorry, ignore the last message 🤦🏼‍♀️
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    man
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    i really want marbled newts but lately the expos have been cancled last minute because of dumb covid stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ax0lot:
    Hey does anyone know why my axolotls mouth is stuck open? Been like that for a few weeks and when I tested water everything was fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
    axolotl nerd: oh yes we’re all very sarcastic +1