Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cutting up worms

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I must be pretty cold-hearted, I feel no compasion for the worms. I just cut 'em up. You're feeding them to a salamander that eats them alive, and the worm is getting burned up in stomach acid. It dies either way.:D

Little Girl

Reaction score
This has been such a helpful thread for me. You guys saved me some money because I, too, was considering buying a "choppy-slicey-thingie" to try to chop up the worms but now I know I just gotta gut it out. Oh well LOL

AuSu

Reaction score
I'm happy I found this thread - cutting a worm in two pieces has been ok but big worm, small bites was a combination that I couldn't figure out. Until today :) after reading these advice, I took my scissors and a small glass mug (old baby food container), worm, cutting...voila! It worked out fine! Thanks!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The scissors-in-the-jar method has stood the test of time. That's what I always do since these early days of experimentation ("dawn" is me from my early days on caudata.org). I got shot glasses instead of plastic film canisters, fearing that microscopic bits of plastic would get cut up with the worms. Also, what is this ancient thing you call "film"? I haven't purchased a canister of film in a long long time. Really long. I also use those tiny jelly jars that are sold in souvenir shops (the really really small ones, that hold about a shot's worth of jelly). I've dropped and broken plenty through the years, so I always pick a few up when I find them.

Rupert

Reaction score
The scissors-in-the-jar method has stood the test of time. That's what I always do since these early days of experimentation ("dawn" is me from my early days on caudata.org). I got shot glasses instead of plastic film canisters, fearing that microscopic bits of plastic would get cut up with the worms. Also, what is this ancient thing you call "film"? I haven't purchased a canister of film in a long long time. Really long. I also use those tiny jelly jars that are sold in souvenir shops (the really really small ones, that hold about a shot's worth of jelly). I've dropped and broken plenty through the years, so I always pick a few up when I find them.

10 years of experience and knowledge right there :cool:

Roygbiv

Reaction score
Mabe put them in magic bullet? :eek: freeze them in those small cubes from the blood worm packs and then just shave of what u need? I just throw up in my mouth, hate chopping worms up too..... I newts like it tho

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!