Cynops orientalis population trend

A

achiinto

I just checked the IUCN red list, the C.O. is listed as least concern, which is as expected. However, it also stated that the population trend is decreasing. This kind of surprised me. I guess there is more reason now to get captive breed C.O. and need to educate new newt keeper more.

As a comparison, the eastern newt has a stable population trend.

Pretty bad, isn't it? I've actually got a source saying that 1,635,362 C. orientalis were exported between 1998-2002, which is a horrifying figure. It's only a matter of time before the species crashes; all so we can have $3 half starved, dying newts in our pet stores.

Its sad that the message about only getting CB stock hasn't managed to get through to enough people (mainly newcomers to keeping herps). Lets face it most pet shops are not bothered if its a CB or CW they just see a profit.

Cynops orientalis has a very large range and receives protection in a number of areas. It’s an adaptable species which can even thrive in degraded and man-made habitats such as paddy fields. This gives it quite an edge over more sensitive species - I doubt it’ll be on the red-list any time soon. Pollution and habitat loss are probably bigger threats than collection for the pet trade.

I’d be interested to see details of the protected areas if anyone has them. I wonder how effective they are? – China doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to wildlife.

Most pet shops that are chains anyway, don't know if they are captive bred or caught wild. In the good sized city I live in, there is only 1 pet store that carries C. Orientalis, or any kind of firebelly newt. I find it funny that they still have them labeled as C. Pyrroghaster on the care sheets. I had to have them special order them for me.

I had to do my own research to be able to tell the difference. I figured the pet store should know what they are selling.:lol:

They sell for around $5 or $6 each. I can't remember exactly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back