Cynops pyrrhogaster.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Here are a few snaps of my 4 adult Cynops phyrrhogaster taken over the last month or so.

Attachments

• 005 (2).JPG
    005 (2).JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 700
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 540
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 545
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 564
  • young pyrros 097.JPG
    young pyrros 097.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 534
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 536
  • Morphs! 028.JPG
    Morphs! 028.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 538
  • morphs! 001.JPG
    morphs! 001.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 525
Very nice! Any full tank photos? What lighting and substrate do you use?

C

Thanks for the compliment! The substrate is just a scattering of kiddies play sand, slightly deeper at the back. The lighting is a Beamswork double bright led unit, it gives much more light than my old growlux tubes but with almost no heat. Here's a snap of the whole tank, i'm no photographer though!!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 572
Beautiful tank - my pyrrhogaster would be jealous if they could see it!

That´s a trully lovely tank with some lovely inhabitants. How big is it?

Wow, thanks for the kind words! It's 35 gallons i think so not huge. It's also the 1st planted tank i've tried so i have a lot to learn but i'm very happy with it at the moment:happy:

I think I'll have to re-do mine now!!!

I just tried to use plants that were bullet proof and so far it's turned out really nice, I think there's a chance some might die back over the colder months though. I started a thread in the vivarium pictures section that shows how it started out.

What kind of filter are you running on that tank?

It's a Eheim ecco pro 2034 external canister filter with a spray bar that i've pushed through a long piece of foam, this diffuses the flow completely as the newts seem to get restless if there's any movement in the water. I was going to try the Walstad method on this tank but the filter was already cycled on another tank so it seemed daft not to use it!

I thought I would add a nicer picture of my favourite male and some of his offspring, he's not sporting his breeding colours anymore but he's still a looker isn't he? :)

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 489
Awesome newts,I seem to be one of these keepers that has an addiction to hoard newts.I wish i could control it.I would love a tank of these.your tank and animals are gorgeous

Thanks, they are my favourite species by along way and the only caudate I keep at the moment. I think that because they used to be so common and so many people mix them up with H. orientalis they have become underrated but I still love 'em!

Awesome tanks, what plant is that in the fourth picture?

Beautiful tank and great, healthy newts. I appreciate the water hyacinth in the aquarium, does it grow well for you or have you recently put it in the tank?

The water hyacinths have been grown indoors for 4 years without ever seeing the sun. Up until this year they have done well with normal aquarium lighting but I have LED lighting now and they seem ok, although their growth has slowed down.
The one thing they haven't done is flowered indoors but they reproduce by runners so quickly I end up throwing them away! I only started growing them for turtle food but I really like them now .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back