Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops pyrrhogaster.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a few snaps of my 4 adult Cynops phyrrhogaster taken over the last month or so.

Attachments

• 005 (2).JPG
    005 (2).JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 698
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 563
  • young pyrros 097.JPG
    young pyrros 097.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 533
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 535
  • Morphs! 028.JPG
    Morphs! 028.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 537
  • morphs! 001.JPG
    morphs! 001.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 523

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment! The substrate is just a scattering of kiddies play sand, slightly deeper at the back. The lighting is a Beamswork double bright led unit, it gives much more light than my old growlux tubes but with almost no heat. Here's a snap of the whole tank, i'm no photographer though!!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 570

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That´s a trully lovely tank with some lovely inhabitants. How big is it?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the kind words! It's 35 gallons i think so not huge. It's also the 1st planted tank i've tried so i have a lot to learn but i'm very happy with it at the moment:happy:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried to use plants that were bullet proof and so far it's turned out really nice, I think there's a chance some might die back over the colder months though. I started a thread in the vivarium pictures section that shows how it started out.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a Eheim ecco pro 2034 external canister filter with a spray bar that i've pushed through a long piece of foam, this diffuses the flow completely as the newts seem to get restless if there's any movement in the water. I was going to try the Walstad method on this tank but the filter was already cycled on another tank so it seemed daft not to use it!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I would add a nicer picture of my favourite male and some of his offspring, he's not sporting his breeding colours anymore but he's still a looker isn't he? :)

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 541
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 485

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Awesome newts,I seem to be one of these keepers that has an addiction to hoard newts.I wish i could control it.I would love a tank of these.your tank and animals are gorgeous

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, they are my favourite species by along way and the only caudate I keep at the moment. I think that because they used to be so common and so many people mix them up with H. orientalis they have become underrated but I still love 'em!

Yahilles

Reaction score
Beautiful tank and great, healthy newts. I appreciate the water hyacinth in the aquarium, does it grow well for you or have you recently put it in the tank?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The water hyacinths have been grown indoors for 4 years without ever seeing the sun. Up until this year they have done well with normal aquarium lighting but I have LED lighting now and they seem ok, although their growth has slowed down.
The one thing they haven't done is flowered indoors but they reproduce by runners so quickly I end up throwing them away! I only started growing them for turtle food but I really like them now .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1