Dead on Arrival!

nomoremind

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cinnamon
I wasn't sure where to post this. Please be warned that some of the pictures are quite sad.
Two weeks ago I decided to purchase 5 axies for $20 from a member of the forum. The price for priority shipping was $8. I paypal him $28 on Monday 4/06. He asked if next Mondays (4/13)shipping was good as it was better for him. He missed that and shipped next Monday (4/20). The shipping cost bumped to $17.20 and he asked for the difference. I didn't make a decision on if I owed him the difference and desided to wait until they arrive. They arrived this morning. This is what I received.

The box arrived quite damaged, with a sticker stating it arrived in my town like that
axieboxunopened.jpg

axiebox.jpg

axiesinbottles.jpg

axiesinbottles2.jpg

deadaxies.jpg

Now I've only bought axies one other time shipped but not like this!!! I've had fish sent once. Shipped just like axies in air free double wrapped bags. I felt the shake of the water as soon as the box hit my hands I knew that they had been shaken to death. Opening box confirmed my fears.
If I had known the shipping price had gone up I would have opted for express for only a bit more. I'm not sure who to blame. Me for not directly going for express, though he lives only one state up and I've never had any problems with the usps, but I blame them too for taking longer then 2 days, or the shipper for poor packing. Is that poor packing because I would say so but I would guess you guys know better.
What do I do in this situation??:mad::(:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I've only bought axies one other time shipped but not like this!!! I've had fish sent once. Shipped just like axies in airfree double wraped bags. I felt the shake of the water as soon as the box hit my hands I knew that they had been shaken to death. Openeing box confirmed my fears.
If I had known the shipping price had gone up I would have opted for express for only a bit more. I'm not sure who to blam. Me for not directly going for express, though he lives only one state up and I've never had any problems with the usps, but I blame them too for taking longer then 2 days, or the shipper for poor packing. Is that poor packing because I would say so but I would guess you guys know better.
What do I do in this situation??:mad::(:mad:

4 days in the mail is long enough to kill axolotls. I've had a LOT of problems with usps taking 1-2 WEEKS (not days) extra to deliver express mail boxes I've sent out. When this happens the animals always die (axolotls usually because they're in bags). In this case it can get complicated, I have no control over the post office and when a box goes missing there's almost nothing I can do about it. I blame the post office.

As far as axolotls getting "shaken" to death, I'm not sure. I always ship them in a little bit of water in a bag full of air, and have never gotten reports of shaken axie syndrome, though I suppose with enough shaking it's possible.

Bummer! As for "what to do", I think you have to negotiate with the seller. In my opinion, he/she did a poor job in the choice of shipping speed. If you chose Priority Mail rather than Express, then you bear part of the responsibility, but I also think they shouldn't even offer this as an option.

I don't think you can blame the USPS at all. Priority Mail is supposed to take 2-3 days, and even that isn't guaranteed. The distance doesn't seem to matter in whether it takes 2 days or 3.

Regarding the packing method, it is not ideal, but it probably would have been OK if they had reached you overnight.

I also think the seller (and to some extent, you) bear some responsibility for not checking the weather forecast. From what I can see, the high temp in your area yesterday was around 80F. This is another possible reason for their death. An express mail "hold-at-PO" package probably would have been ok in this weather, but any other method is risky in this weather.

Jake's and Jen's points are all valid. I think you and the seller should negotiate this and when it's over, post a testimonial in the testimonial section.

I don't think you can blame the USPS at all. Priority Mail is supposed to take 2-3 days, and even that isn't guaranteed. The distance doesn't seem to matter in whether it takes 2 days or 3.

Sorry, I thought they were originally going to be sent Priority, but was change to express (I thought that because of the price). My mistake.

Priority mail is only good for eggs or newts in containers with holes for air exchange, and only when weather permits.

Hi Cinammon,

In New Zealand we have something called the "Consumers Fair Trade Act" it protects the buyer to some extent from sisuations like this. I don't know if such a law exists in the USA.

I feel very sorry for you it must have been a great shock to open your package to that.

I doubt that will be necessary. I'm sure the seller will work with her.

Hi Cinammon,

In New Zealand we have something called the "Consumers Fair Trade Act" it protects the buyer to some extent from sisuations like this. I don't know if such a law exists in the USA.

I feel very sorry for you it must have been a great shock to open your package to that.

WOW! how horrible! shipping them in bottles! using insulation (Excess heat produced)!! and not shipping them next day!!! Shame on that seller!! breaks me heart!:mad:

I have shipped axolotls, newt larvae and eggs in bottles. That should not be an issue. I don't think this should be a thread for picking on the seller. Let's let him make good on this and not give him a hard time, please.

The place I ordered my axies from used next day air (across the country too) and shipped them in bags with water and air, plus insulated it with Styrofoam, on top of all that they included a very informational CD-ROM with the purchase. It was a staggeringly reasonable price too. Anyways I see your in the US as well if you want I can give you the URL of the place I got mine from (In a private message though, I dont think I can post it here)

OH okay! cool thanks John! Well I bought mine from Wards natural science, http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0013576 , It was only 8 dollars for shipping (which I think is amazing if you have ever looked at the price of shipping a 3lb box next day air!) The customer service was really nice (When I called about my order they knew who I was the the status of my order immediately)

So anyways when it arrived my axie was cool, happy, and healthy, in a well labled box with an informative CD-ROM. In fact I was so pleased with them that I just ordered my next two (wild type) axolotls for about $50 and am waiting on the edge of my seat for their arivial :p

Can you post that in the Testimonial section please. I too have purchased things from Wards but never something living, just nets and such.

I have recieved Axies safely in water bottles, also in insolation, as long as the shipping is fast, everything should be fine. Your seller will do you right. Most everyone on this site are awesome and very informitive people.

He offered to resend some axies for free. I just pay shipping and use express shipping. I've desided to hold on for a bit as this experiece was not ideal. It is quite warm here too. I should have gone with express shipping and even though I've never had an experience with poor post office delivery it should have been known that it was a possibility. As that is was happened I've desided not to ask for my money back. Though I will not be sending the added amount in original shipping cost.

The breeder had very good communication and I'm sure that the condition of the axies was good until the exstended time in transit.

I apologize as the original post was quite opinionated and "finger pointing". It was rude.

Well with the post office you get what you pay for, I sell books online and frequent the post office often; express mail = 1-2 days first class = 2 days, priority = 2-5 days, media = 4 - 14 days ..... with live critters you can only do next day air period, especially axolotls whom require the temperature to at least be 65 degrees Fahrenheit at the most.

Next day air express mail is quite spendy for the normal consumer $30.55 in your case, but its worth it and I think if you were going to do it again your going the right route by choosing that.... but remember packaging is just as important. from what I could see in the picture he used Gatorade bottles and housing insulation? both I would say are great conductors of heat, not much help for keeping it out.

Well good luck in your future axotol buying experiences. I recently lost one axie and it broke my heart. I hate to see anyone else loosing them... :ufo:

Might I suggest that if you're in St. Louis you're not a million miles away from a couple of breeders on this site. Maybe you can arrange a pick up?

Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. Right on the cost a couple miles from the Louisianna boarder. If anyone knows anyone that owns Axies in this general region I would most deffinatly be willing to pick up. I'm only 1 1/2 hours from New Orleans.
Thanks Everyone!

Sorry, I missed the MS part - tired.

Wow that fibre glass insulation would have kept those axies WAY too warm, I reckon they died from the heat being wrapped in that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back