DIY Canister filter... any thoughts?

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I recently upgraded my axolotls' tank to a 4ft and I have been looking at canister filters online and in the stores for some proper filtration and the one thing that keeps me from getting one is how expensive they are!

The cheapest I can find that might be ok for my new tank is $130- that might not seem so bad if I was not a student- so money is pretty tight.
So I got thinking about what makes these things so expensive when as far as I can tell, all they are is a container full of cheap-ish filter materials and a pump.

Now I have been searching the net all today and there are a lot of DIY canister filters out there with people claiming results (with pictures and videos occasionally) that are as good if not better than their commercial counterparts.

However, when searching this forum I cannot seem to find anyone who has gone down the cheap- but not necessarily nasty- road, when it comes to filtration.

So my question is why is this? Is there something about axolotls that prevents the DIY people amongst us from making these filters?
Has someone had experiences with DIY filtration that they can share with me and everyone?
If anyone has made one of these do they have any schematics- useful info or anything that might be helpful as I embark upon my El Cheapo filtration quest?

Thanks for reading!

so you are thinking of a sump- type setup?

A large one I think would do a great job filtering a axolotl tank, easy to access, clean and to monitor,

and the added plus with helping to oxygenate and cool the water somewhat if you arrange it to flow down through some sort of overflow.

the only major issue I can see is setting the pump to move the water out to keep up with the rate that the water flows into the sump so it does not overflow.

I tried building a few from scratch in the past. Believe me when I tell you it is not cheap to build one that works. After many failed prototypes the final working version ended up costing me a hundred dollars more than an of the shelf turnkey.

I am not saying it can't be done, just it is a real challenge.

Now, external resevoir types are cheap and easy, but only worth the effort for large volume tanks and indoor ponds.

tried the exact same thing when i got a planted tank. I wouldn't try it. In all honesty a sump would be easier, and more effective for an axolotl tank. All you really need is a pump, and you can make your own overflow/bio tower. I ended up finding a craigslist deal on a nice canister filter, and I'm happy with it so if a sump isn't an option keep an eye out on craigslist.

Rhys, you are a student?

So, you are either a high school student or a uni student, right? We'll assume that figuring that it is less likely for a primar school student to be here.

So, if you are a high school student, you probably have an Xbox or Playstation or something similar?

If you are a Uni student, you probably hit the pub on the weekend?

My question to you then is - How bad do you want this canister filter?

Check out www.aquariumsupermarket.com.au - pretty cheap there overall.

Now, how many copies of COD Black Ops can you buy with $130? - One. Do you have it yet?.........if you do, you are starting to get my point. :)

If you are at Uni, How many beers can you buy after gtting into the night club and cabbing it home for $130?

No matter how tight the budget is, if you really want something you can get it.

Take the total you need - Divide it by a period of time, say 8 weeks - if that $$ amount is say $15, can you put away $5 from your pocket money or job? Can you then go without one playstation game or 2 beers a week to save the other $8 per week?

I reckon it might be hard to save for something like a canister filter, but i reckon it would be a bloody lot harder to make one! :)

Just MHO

Bren

Yes Mr. Blackdog, I am a Uni student- however I do not have a console beyond a PS2 I bought years ago, I actually don't go out on the weekends, hard as that may be to believe of a "typical" Uni student, I don't enjoy drinking- in my experience drunk people are all the same (annoying) and I don't like the taste of most alcoholic drinks.
I perhaps "hit the town" for obligatory birthdays maybe three times annually.

I am actually quite a boring person if you compare me to all the automatons out there who perpetuate these clichés.

I don't have a job at the moment (although I am looking for one right now with Christmas right around the corner) which was convenient for my course as it is fairly maths heavy and up until this year I hadn't done any maths for five years previously. I quit the ****ty job I had in march that I had held for 3 years and quite frankly, the place I was working at burnt me out, for the hospitality scene, quite thoroughly- basically people suck- IMO.

You are quite right of course I could scrounge and perhaps in only three weeks, If I am lucky with bills, I could afford a commercial canister filter.

I must seem to you sir, quite the cheapskate, for wanting to build my own and this is perhaps somewhat my own fault for stating the only motivation in my original post was cost. This was pure laziness really, when it comes to typing I am not really up to secretary standards, however you have done what I would normally do and assumed the worst of a person without considering other options- I do this, because in my head I consider people, on the whole, as basically having little or no redeeming features:happy:. Not all people, though :), in fact most of the people on this forum seem awesome! I wish I could meet people like I have enjoyed reading on here in real life!

I can hardly blame you, of course, because you may believe the same as myself.

No I do have other motivations for wanting to build my own canister filter, and not just crass money-pinching.

I am actually in the process of completing an enclosure for Southern Angle-Headed Dragons that I wish to keep in the near future- I have been working on it for most of this year of and on as time allowed. I have built the whole thing from scratch out of pine ply- which looks quite aesthetically pleasing when shellacked. It has its own waterfall and rainwater system with a scratch-built reservoir. - I wired the light fittings up myself- I could go on.
If anyone is interested in pics, I could post some up for you all- just let me know.
Yes, I hear you, where did I get the money from? well I actually am capable of scrounging- and going without necessities like food- especially if my passion for the project is high.

Basically I like building things from scratch by myself and for myself. I like aesthetically pleasing things which is part of the reason I build things for myself as I know that I can build things that are far more pleasing on the eye than what I could by in a store ( why I used pine instead of that awful melamine stuff they all use!).

God, I do sound arrogant, don't I?

I don't really think I am, (you are entitled to think so, of course, after this massive rant:happy:)
I was just mildly miffed at the assumption that I would skip out on getting the best for my animals because I was 'cheap', and I am trying to make my point.

So yes, I think that commercial filters are drastically overpriced.

I also think that they are ugly and a waste of space, and that they could be redesigned better in both departments.( although those new Fluval filters with LCD screens and lovely aluminium facings are quite attractive-yet again, extremely pricey)

SO I thought I could design something that wasted less space and looked good at the same time while saving some money.
I was thinking some more wood- to blend in with the stand I have the tank on.Probably just an outer shell of wood but it would still look much better than a great big ugly grey or green plastic filter.

In fact this post has now almost convinced me that I will do it this way- even though it is likely to end up more costly- however, it will be much more satisfying.

Thanks again for reading.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, thanks to iChris, Johnny O. Farnen and carsona246 for their input, thanks guys- It seems that a sump filter is the way to go DIY?
Thanks for the warning about the likely expense and frustration that will result if I attempt this.
It probably would be better just to buy one, but I may have the bit between my teeth now :D
If anyone else has some experience with DIY filters or any ideas, please let me know! :p

No Rhys, i dont think you were a skin flint, or arrogant, or boring for that matter :)

Don't be miffed, i wasn't having a crack at you mate. You you should have a go at making one if it floats your boat.

Sometimes though people get a bit hung up on "the huge cost" of things like filters, so i was merely pointing out that often if you break down a big expense into small chunks, it isn't so big after all.

No offense taken or meant, just another way of looking at things, often an answer we give here might not help you as much as you'd like, but does help another reader, so it's all good!

Bren

Last edited:
It seems that a sump filter is the way to go DIY?

I suggest a home made box filter if you wanted to make an 'in the tank' filter. They work on a similar principle to sponge filters but are more effctive. Very simple process and very simple design.

Thanks morphyrichards, I will google it and have a look. Do you use one yourself then? Or do you know someone who does?

Also: No worries then, Bren, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks morphyrichards, I will google it and have a look. Do you use one yourself then? Or do you know someone who does?

I made my own last summer when I thought my internal impeller driven filter was adding too much heat. I took out the media. I used the base of a 5L spring water bottle to house the media and a spring water bottle for the top part of the filter. Then I disguised the whole thing with river rocks because it didnt look too pretty and there were some sharp edges so the rocks also cover them.

Another idea - if you wanted to make an external filter why not try for a wet/dry filter? I suppose the easiest way to make one would be to have some sort of container which is raised above your tank water level and a pump. You pump water into the top, have it pre-filter through something like a sponge and then let it trickle down over a range of filter media which you have in the container and then let it flow back into your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a number of "box filter" (small boxes of media, driven by an air pump). I'm doubting that this degree of filtration would be enough for an axolotl. For a large-ish tank, you'd need more than one.

I made two homemade in-tank filters for a turtle tank and an axie pond. They consist of a plastic storage box (about 8x8x12 inches) sitting up at the top of the water level. A small pump pumps water in the top of the box, it perks through, and back out small holes in the bottom of the plastic box. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos handy. For this to work, you'd have to keep the tank water level below the top of the tank, and you'd have to rig up a way to suspend the box at the top of the tank. (In the turtle tank, I used a stack of bricks, in the axie pond the box is hanging from the top edge.)

I have a number of "box filter" (small boxes of media, driven by an air pump). I'm doubting that this degree of filtration would be enough for an axolotl. For a large-ish tank, you'd need more than one.

Yup, or as in my case make one bigger one.:happy: Actually it uses the 'same box' process but the filtration media is arranged differently and there is much more of it to the type I think your thinking of (if you're thinking of the little plastic one that sticks to the side of the tank with a sucker)

Last edited:
Sounds like a sump is exactly what you want to make. In all honesty I hate canister filter's, and would be using a sump if I didn't already have a canister filter at hand. A sump would be very diy, and more effective in my opinion for an axolotl enclosure, it would not however be more space effiecient. You might want to google some builds, but the overflow is the only confusing aspect of it, if you wanna pm me I'll send you some links to a great site with lots of info on building sumps.

Thanks carsona, I will do that- so sumps or filter boxes, hey? so with the filter boxes its size that is restricting, while in sumps its the space and ugly factor.

But would people agree that wet/dry sump filters are the best kind?
Especially for axolotls?
Say carsona- you hate canister filters? why so? are they not effective or don't you like the space/expense/ugly factor the same as I am?

Also: Jen and morphy, my tank is approximately 200 litres, would this inhibit my going for a box filter or would you think that a large enough one-like the one morphy is talking about would do the job?

Oh! By the way, I read somewhere on this forum that you want to turn your water over about ten times an hour? Is this correct? So a 200L tank needs a 2000L/hr pump, yes? This does not create too much current for the axolotls?

Thanks again guys and girls!

Rhys.

Last edited:
I'm more of a fish guy, and am just now planning on getting my first axolotl, but a sump is more biologically minded than most canister filter's are, and the access to air it gives the bacteria makes it more effective at biological filtration. Honestly I just hate canister filter's because they're so darn expensive, and don't give you the same customizable options as a sump does. For instance if you want to have a refugium or a breeding space for feeder fish, you can put one inside a sump, but not a canister filter. Also from what I understand it is not important to have much turnover in a filter because axolotl's don't like much current so you could get away with a smaller pump which is going to be the most expensive thing about a sump if you make it yourself. Also the aeration and possible cooling factor(the water splashing over the media should evaporate quicker because it's exposed to air) just make it seem like the more logical choice to me. Finally a sump just gives you more water volume, which is always handy. Either way i'm sure the filtration needs will be met, canisters can be fine filters i just prefer a sump and if your going to make one might as well make the more effective/easier thing to make.

I made mine using a 2 gallon foodservice bucket (from the doughnut shop), a small fountain pump, some 3/8" vinyl tubing, and about $8 worth of plumbing fittings, and craft mesh, (to seperate the media layers) it works great. I already had the pump, so thats an extra expense if you don't have one. I'm not artistically inclined, but i'd be willing to scratch a picture and post it if you want.

Is a sump filter the same as a wet/dry filter? I thought they were different things but here they sound very similar.

They're the same thing

Thanks, carsona. Looks like sump it is!

I don't know how I am going to make it pretty yet, but I will give it my fullest attention.

The possible cooling factor really clinched it, I think- now, to the drawing board!

Also; thanks sparky, if you get a spare minute I would love to see how you did it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back