Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Do I need to use actual ammonia to cycle my tank?

MouseBird

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just in the process of setting up my first tank and getting to grips with cycling. I was just about to order some ammonium chloride online when my husband said we didn't need it as we can just put some food in and wait for it to rot. My main concern is that when it comes to testing if my tank is fully cycled that method won't cause a big enough spike in ammonia to see if it clears within 24 hours.
Will my husband's approach work? From reading elsewhere on here I know it will take longer to get the tank to cycle this way anyway

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just in the process of setting up my first tank and getting to grips with cycling. I was just about to order some ammonium chloride online when my husband said we didn't need it as we can just put some food in and wait for it to rot. My main concern is that when it comes to testing if my tank is fully cycled that method won't cause a big enough spike in ammonia to see if it clears within 24 hours.
Will my husband's approach work? From reading elsewhere on here I know it will take longer to get the tank to cycle this way anyway
you can do it either way. It's just harder to measure out an exact ppm amount without using ammonia. Like i said though, you can do it either way effectively

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Also with food, its difficult to maintain a consistent level of ammonia. When I did mine, I literally just picked up a bottle of ammonia from a grocery store. Worked perfectly and only cost a few dollars.

MouseBird

Reaction score
Also with food, its difficult to maintain a consistent level of ammonia. When I did mine, I literally just picked up a bottle of ammonia from a grocery store. Worked perfectly and only cost a few dollars.
Thank you. Adding ammonia sounds the most efficient option

MouseBird

Reaction score
I'm currently still waiting for my ammonia levels to drop after nearly three weeks of daily testing and adding Quick Start! Is this normal?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I'm currently still waiting for my ammonia levels to drop after nearly three weeks of daily testing and adding Quick Start! Is this normal?
what kinda of filter/filter media are you using? do you have any substrate in the tank or is it bare bottom?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I added a teaspoon (5ml) of ammonia to a 56litre tank, and since then have had ammonia readings of 4ppm. I've got no nitrites and 25ppm nitrates, which have also been consistent
the fact that you have some nitrates showing up is a good sign. when did you last add quick start bacteria?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!