Do I need to use actual ammonia to cycle my tank?

MouseBird

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm just in the process of setting up my first tank and getting to grips with cycling. I was just about to order some ammonium chloride online when my husband said we didn't need it as we can just put some food in and wait for it to rot. My main concern is that when it comes to testing if my tank is fully cycled that method won't cause a big enough spike in ammonia to see if it clears within 24 hours.
Will my husband's approach work? From reading elsewhere on here I know it will take longer to get the tank to cycle this way anyway

Hi,
I'm just in the process of setting up my first tank and getting to grips with cycling. I was just about to order some ammonium chloride online when my husband said we didn't need it as we can just put some food in and wait for it to rot. My main concern is that when it comes to testing if my tank is fully cycled that method won't cause a big enough spike in ammonia to see if it clears within 24 hours.
Will my husband's approach work? From reading elsewhere on here I know it will take longer to get the tank to cycle this way anyway
you can do it either way. It's just harder to measure out an exact ppm amount without using ammonia. Like i said though, you can do it either way effectively

Also with food, its difficult to maintain a consistent level of ammonia. When I did mine, I literally just picked up a bottle of ammonia from a grocery store. Worked perfectly and only cost a few dollars.

Also with food, its difficult to maintain a consistent level of ammonia. When I did mine, I literally just picked up a bottle of ammonia from a grocery store. Worked perfectly and only cost a few dollars.
Thank you. Adding ammonia sounds the most efficient option

I'm currently still waiting for my ammonia levels to drop after nearly three weeks of daily testing and adding Quick Start! Is this normal?

I'm currently still waiting for my ammonia levels to drop after nearly three weeks of daily testing and adding Quick Start! Is this normal?
what kinda of filter/filter media are you using? do you have any substrate in the tank or is it bare bottom?

what kinda of filter/filter media are you using? do you have any substrate in the tank or is it bare bottom?
I've got a sponge filter and a bare bottom tank. I've also got three plastic plants and two pieces of driftwood in there. pH is relatively stable

I've got a sponge filter and a bare bottom tank. I've also got three plastic plants and two pieces of driftwood in there. pH is relatively stable
How much ammonia did you add? and are you seeing any nitrites or nitrates yet?

How much ammonia did you add? and are you seeing any nitrites or nitrates yet?
I added a teaspoon (5ml) of ammonia to a 56litre tank, and since then have had ammonia readings of 4ppm. I've got no nitrites and 25ppm nitrates, which have also been consistent

I added a teaspoon (5ml) of ammonia to a 56litre tank, and since then have had ammonia readings of 4ppm. I've got no nitrites and 25ppm nitrates, which have also been consistent
the fact that you have some nitrates showing up is a good sign. when did you last add quick start bacteria?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back