Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Durrell Amphibian Captive Husbandry Training Course

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust - An international charity saving species from extinction) is running another of its Amphibian Conservation Husbandry courses on Jersey, UK from the 3rd to 7th June 2013.

The course, always popular in the past, will cover all of the important, basic areas of amphibian captive husbandry, from water quality to breeding triggers, from diet to temperature. It will also look at topics including population management, record keeping, conservation strategy and veterinary issues.
All topics are taught in an interactive manner and several include group tasks and challenges, including designing a captive husbandry protocol for an allocated amphibian species.

Participants will also have access to behind-the-scene facilities at Durrell Wildlfie Park as well as opportunity to discuss issues with teaching staff from a variety of institutions. Of course, there is also free access to Gerald Durrell's wildlife park itself, something not to be missed!

The course is open to hobbyists and 'professionals' alike and is always a friendly, discursive and informal forum.

The course fee is £750 (discounted to £600 if paid at least 8 weeks in advance). Optional full board on-site accommodation is available for £210 for six nights. All of the teaching staff are unpaid, so the fee covers the cost of running the course and goes toward conservation at Durrell.

The food is usually excellent and plentiful!

An official and recognised certificate of attendance and membership of the Durrell Conservation Academy will be presented on completion of the course.

For more details, see the attached flyer, respond to this thread with your question or email academy 'at' durrell.org

Best wishes

Chris Michaels

Attachments

• ACH 2013 Flyer.pdf
    603.8 KB · Views: 2,147
Last edited:

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust (Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust - An international charity saving species from extinction) is running another of its Amphibian Conservation Husbandry courses on Jersey, UK from the 3rd to 7th June 2013.

The course, always popular in the past, will cover all of the important, basic areas of amphibian captive husbandry, from water quality to breeding triggers, from diet to temperature. It will also look at topics including population management, record keeping, conservation strategy and veterinary issues.
All topics are taught in an interactive manner and several include group tasks and challenges, including designing a captive husbandry protocol for an allocated amphibian species.

Participants will also have access to behind-the-scene facilities at Durrell Wildlfie Park as well as opportunity to discuss issues with teaching staff from a variety of institutions. Of course, there is also free access to Gerald Durrell's wildlife park itself, something not to be missed!

The course is open to hobbyists and 'professionals' alike and is always a friendly, discursive and informal forum.

The course fee is £750 (discounted to £600 if paid at least 8 weeks in advance). Optional full board on-site accommodation is available for £210 for six nights. All of the teaching staff are unpaid, so the fee covers the cost of running the course and goes toward conservation at Durrell.

The food is usually excellent and plentiful!

An official and recognised certificate of attendance and membership of the Durrell Conservation Academy will be presented on completion of the course.

For more details, see the attached flyer, respond to this thread with your question or email academy 'at' durrell.org

Best wishes

Chris Michaels

Do you know if they will do this again this year Chris? Kind of gutted I missed it really but was unable to go :/

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure - it didn't happen in the end this Spring as we didn't hav enough people registering (first time this happened in years). I'll post again here if another one is planned.

C

mewsie

Reaction score
I was gutted when I saw this post as my OH and I were in Jersey the week after (with work) and could easily have tagged an extra week on before! We were even AT the Durrell on the Saturday after the course ended :( So close...

I'll definitely be watching out for another course, and if you have some sort of mailing list for notifications, let me know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1