Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Earthworm vs bloodworm confusion

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
Soooo, my 10 month old lotl Lex has pretty much been feeding on blood worms up till yesterday when I fed him the first earthworm in a while. The reasons I delayed the switch so long is that Lex is somehow relatively fat (stomach bigger than head by a slight bit) off of just bloodworms, AND the last time he ate earthworms he basically went into a coma, and even this time he didn't seem fine with a live worm in his gut, though he wasn't as upset as last time, and just moved around this time instead. Anyways, a few questions on earthworms:

1. Is there less fat in earthworms than a cube of blood worms (0.3% in a cube) cuz I don`t want Lex getting fatter lol, and is it that big of a difference in protein? On that note how many pieces of earthworm should he get a day? (I feed him 2 blood worm cubes and a piece of brine shrimp a day.)

2. What size earthworm - I dug up some mediumism size (4-5" and relatively thin) earthworms and was wondering if the big juicy guys would be better for him, which connects with 3:

3. Where to get earthworms... I tried to dig in like 10 places around my yard just after raining and only found small to medium earthworms, not a single big guy in sight, don`t even think the birds had much success that day. How deep/ where are the big guys?

4. Anyone else have a lotl that just doesn`t like the idea of live food? (On that note Lex is weird cuz the first few weeks I had him he ate several meal worms, no problem...) Would it be at all a good idea if I fed him an earthworm that just recently died (ex. a half without the fat part that they need to live)? Do they usually chew worms more than this? Other tactics to get past this, or does Lex just need to "toughen up" :LOL:?

Thank you for your help.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Soooo, my 10 month old lotl Lex has pretty much been feeding on blood worms up till yesterday when I fed him the first earthworm in a while. The reasons I delayed the switch so long is that Lex is somehow relatively fat (stomach bigger than head by a slight bit) off of just bloodworms, AND the last time he ate earthworms he basically went into a coma, and even this time he didn't seem fine with a live worm in his gut, though he wasn't as upset as last time, and just moved around this time instead. Anyways, a few questions on earthworms:

1. Is there less fat in earthworms than a cube of blood worms (0.3% in a cube) cuz I don`t want Lex getting fatter lol, and is it that big of a difference in protein? On that note how many pieces of earthworm should he get a day? (I feed him 2 blood worm cubes and a piece of brine shrimp a day.)

2. What size earthworm - I dug up some mediumism size (4-5" and relatively thin) earthworms and was wondering if the big juicy guys would be better for him, which connects with 3:

3. Where to get earthworms... I tried to dig in like 10 places around my yard just after raining and only found small to medium earthworms, not a single big guy in sight, don`t even think the birds had much success that day. How deep/ where are the big guys?

4. Anyone else have a lotl that just doesn`t like the idea of live food? (On that note Lex is weird cuz the first few weeks I had him he ate several meal worms, no problem...) Would it be at all a good idea if I fed him an earthworm that just recently died (ex. a half without the fat part that they need to live)? Do they usually chew worms more than this? Other tactics to get past this, or does Lex just need to "toughen up" :LOL:?

Thank you for your help.
Bloodworms are basically like feeding them potato chips. There is very little nutritional value in them, and just like potato chips, it can make them fat. A good diet of earthworms is by far superior in terms of nutrition. Most bait shops and LFS will carry earthworms. Be careful digging them out of garden areas that may have contact with pesticides and other chemicals as those can be lethal to your axolotl.

Generally speaking, you should be feeding him 1-2 earthworms (depending on their size) every other day. You can cut them into smaller pieces to make them easier for him to eat.

JM29

Reaction score
The biggest earthworms are not necessary deeper in the soil. The big species are mostly anecic : they move vertically, alternating surface (night) and deep soil (day).

One suggestion : you can put some cover objects (flat stones or pieces of wood) on wet soil (after having irrigated if to dry).
Then go and see from time to time. Earthworms of diverse size can be found under the cover object, without digging.

Another technique : planting a knife in wet soil and make it oscillate. The variations of pressure in the nearby soil will make the earthworms go out.

The last one : preferably on wet soil, put 2 glasses of mustard in 10 liters (2,5 gallons) water, shake, and pour on 1 square meter soil.
Within a quarter or hour, the earthworms will go out.

TheAngel1270

Reaction score
I bought some worms from Amazon and a worm farm from a company called The Mottled Lotl. They are kind of pricey but worth the investment, I think.

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
The biggest earthworms are not necessary deeper in the soil. The big species are mostly anecic : they move vertically, alternating surface (night) and deep soil (day).

One suggestion : you can put some cover objects (flat stones or pieces of wood) on wet soil (after having irrigated if to dry).
Then go and see from time to time. Earthworms of diverse size can be found under the cover object, without digging.

Another technique : planting a knife in wet soil and make it oscillate. The variations of pressure in the nearby soil will make the earthworms go out.

The last one : preferably on wet soil, put 2 glasses of mustard in 10 liters (2,5 gallons) water, shake, and pour on 1 square meter soil.
Within a quarter or hour, the earthworms will go out.
wow very practical, I`ll be sure to try those out, thank you! Also, are medium sized worms still ok?

juca1658

Reaction score
Let's simplify things: Order your worms and supplies from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm (Get a discount code!). Research how to keep worm compost. Set up your worm box. Take care of your worm box (hello composting!). Replenish it as needed. & eventually you'll never have to buy worms again. You know what they eat and they're always well fed. You choose the size. It's easier than you think and doesn't take up much room. Keep it outside in the shade.

JM29

Reaction score
Let's simplify things: Order your worms and supplies from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm (Get a discount code!). Research how to keep worm compost. Set up your worm box. Take care of your worm box (hello composting!). Replenish it as needed. & eventually you'll never have to buy worms again. You know what they eat and they're always well fed. You choose the size. It's easier than you think and doesn't take up much room. Keep it outside in the shade.
Yes. It's a good ecological way to get rid of vegetables peelings.
But not all axolotls accept to eat compost worms

marywithani

Reaction score

Thank you for your help.
Agree with the nutritional content/potato chip analogy reply. Disagree with the idea of digging them up from the yard idea. Known way to bring parasites into the picture, and depending on where you live, you could be introducing toxins from the soil (I live in a 123-yr old home just outside Cleveland, with a postage stamp backyard. I know there is a good chance of lead in the soil from house paint over the years.

Best bet is something like starting up a worm farm from a place like the Mottled Lotl (I heard a story about someone getting bad worms recently from Uncle Jim’s), or even a bait shop or pet store. I currently get mine from my local pet shop, but have just ordered a small worm farm from www.elmdirt.com . Red wigglers are smaller; night crawlers fatter and tougher, depending on which kind.

My Schmitty is 6 months old and I’m still feeding him daily (cutting back on twice/day; he’s definitely getting chonky). I use red wigglers because he seemed to have more problems getting the night crawlers down, even when I cut them up (I use scissors and a little handheld kitchen strainer to rinse, which you have to do because they emit a bitter substance when cut). Schmitty is big enough now that I am starting to give him whole red wigglers.

Best of luck! 😊

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!