Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

eggs and hatchling questions

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a few questions.

one - i don’t have any daphnia/BBS in my area, and i’m hesitant to buy online because i‘ve seen very mixed reviews. i’m only keeping 25 eggs and culling the others, and i was wondering if i were to manually take each hatchling (not like pick them up, just have them separated) and wave bloodworms near their face if they would accept it?

two - if the mother is gfp and the father is not, what are the odds i have gfp hatchlings? also, can you tell if an axie is gfp by shining a black light on the eggs?

three - do newborns//hatchlings need a filter? i know you have to change the water daily (or more than once a day, depending on feeding schedules and how messy they are) but i haven’t been able to find anything on filtration. i’d use a sponge filter, but i’m still concerned.

that’s about it, if i remember anything i’ll be sure to post it here! thanks everyone :)

JM29

Reaction score
Hi !

I'll try to give some answers, but sorry, not all :

One - axolotls hatchlings generally accept only small living (moving) preys.
I agree that buying daphnia online seems risky. You could try to find brine shrimp eggs (you can obtain BBS hatching within 2 days).

Two - sorry, I know nothing about the GFP gene and how to diagnose it, but I'm sure someone on the forum has much more knowledge than me.

Three - I've never used a filter with the newborns/hatchlings (18 years without problems). Changing the water often is enough.
With only 25 newborns, you can keep them in something like a tub, with only one inch deep water, so that the ratio surface/volume is high (better oxygen supply)

Other advices and experiences will be interesting

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
thanks so much! also, i’m planning on keeping them in these as they grow and get bigger :)
just drilled holes in the lids too
image.jpg

Dr. Phil

Reaction score
Wow - I didn't know there were GFP axolotls. I know a little about genetics and GFP and just looked into it. I found this excellent site on inheritance of color in axolotls, with mention of GFP...but not much more, other than that it 'is inherited': gfp trait – Water Critters
I would guess that the GFP gene acts dominantly - meaning you only need one copy. If that is true, then there would be a 50:50 chance that the progeny would get it. You would likely be able to detect green fluorescence in developing larvae at later stages by use of a blacklight (long wavelength UV).

I had a good experience purchasing Daphnia online (from a company in the US). I have managed to keep the culture going. It's worth a try.

Good luck!

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Wow - I didn't know there were GFP axolotls. I know a little about genetics and GFP and just looked into it. I found this excellent site on inheritance of color in axolotls, with mention of GFP...but not much more, other than that it 'is inherited': gfp trait – Water Critters
I would guess that the GFP gene acts dominantly - meaning you only need one copy. If that is true, then there would be a 50:50 chance that the progeny would get it. You would likely be able to detect green fluorescence in developing larvae at later stages by use of a blacklight (long wavelength UV).

I had a good experience purchasing Daphnia online (from a company in the US). I have managed to keep the culture going. It's worth a try.

Good luck!
thank you! ill cert try this!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!