eggs and hatchling questions

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ren
hi everyone, i have a few questions.

one - i don’t have any daphnia/BBS in my area, and i’m hesitant to buy online because i‘ve seen very mixed reviews. i’m only keeping 25 eggs and culling the others, and i was wondering if i were to manually take each hatchling (not like pick them up, just have them separated) and wave bloodworms near their face if they would accept it?

two - if the mother is gfp and the father is not, what are the odds i have gfp hatchlings? also, can you tell if an axie is gfp by shining a black light on the eggs?

three - do newborns//hatchlings need a filter? i know you have to change the water daily (or more than once a day, depending on feeding schedules and how messy they are) but i haven’t been able to find anything on filtration. i’d use a sponge filter, but i’m still concerned.

that’s about it, if i remember anything i’ll be sure to post it here! thanks everyone :)

Hi !

I'll try to give some answers, but sorry, not all :

One - axolotls hatchlings generally accept only small living (moving) preys.
I agree that buying daphnia online seems risky. You could try to find brine shrimp eggs (you can obtain BBS hatching within 2 days).

Two - sorry, I know nothing about the GFP gene and how to diagnose it, but I'm sure someone on the forum has much more knowledge than me.

Three - I've never used a filter with the newborns/hatchlings (18 years without problems). Changing the water often is enough.
With only 25 newborns, you can keep them in something like a tub, with only one inch deep water, so that the ratio surface/volume is high (better oxygen supply)

Other advices and experiences will be interesting

thanks so much! also, i’m planning on keeping them in these as they grow and get bigger :)
just drilled holes in the lids too
image.jpg

Wow - I didn't know there were GFP axolotls. I know a little about genetics and GFP and just looked into it. I found this excellent site on inheritance of color in axolotls, with mention of GFP...but not much more, other than that it 'is inherited': gfp trait – Water Critters
I would guess that the GFP gene acts dominantly - meaning you only need one copy. If that is true, then there would be a 50:50 chance that the progeny would get it. You would likely be able to detect green fluorescence in developing larvae at later stages by use of a blacklight (long wavelength UV).

I had a good experience purchasing Daphnia online (from a company in the US). I have managed to keep the culture going. It's worth a try.

Good luck!

Wow - I didn't know there were GFP axolotls. I know a little about genetics and GFP and just looked into it. I found this excellent site on inheritance of color in axolotls, with mention of GFP...but not much more, other than that it 'is inherited': gfp trait – Water Critters
I would guess that the GFP gene acts dominantly - meaning you only need one copy. If that is true, then there would be a 50:50 chance that the progeny would get it. You would likely be able to detect green fluorescence in developing larvae at later stages by use of a blacklight (long wavelength UV).

I had a good experience purchasing Daphnia online (from a company in the US). I have managed to keep the culture going. It's worth a try.

Good luck!
thank you! ill cert try this!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back