Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Excursion with a pleasant surprise

erfus

Reaction score
In a field trip, I and fellow Adam, we find the elusive Calotriton arnoldi in their beautiful habitat. We were able to photograph this stunning Montseny endemic salamanders.
An amphibian that lives in rapid streams of highly oxygenated cold waters between 600/1200 mt.

Species threatened by logging and forest vegetation. Is also threatened by regression of beech due to global warming.

I wanted to share the photos of this jewel of nature.

Attachments

• DSC00509.jpg
    DSC00509.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC00510.jpg
    DSC00510.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC00522.jpg
    DSC00522.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC00534.jpg
    DSC00534.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC00535.jpg
    DSC00535.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC00507.jpg
    DSC00507.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC00532.jpg
    DSC00532.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 332

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously cool! Thanks very much for sharing with us.

The water flow in that stream looks really fast. It's amazing the newts can move around in such conditions. Are they only found in slower areas?

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Congrats, that water DOES look wicked fast. Those must be some strong swimmers. Whats the newt in your avatar by the way?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
There is no shortage of salamanders which are normally found in such conditions. Shortened toes, fleshy lips, and sometimes smooth skin are common traits of such species. Pachytriton, Dicamptodon, Rhyacotriton, and even Plethodon dunni [marginally] are found in such conditions.

Very neat to see, especially as this isn't a species we hear much about.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent! Such a beautiful place...i´m a sucker for beech forests in autumn....argh.
Nice find, always very interesting to hear about Calotriton :)

ADAM told me you´d be going, it would be cool to join you some day, i was very jealous xD

erfus

Reaction score
The water flow in that stream looks really fast. It's amazing the newts can move around in such conditions. Are they only found in slower areas?

Newts were in the quietest areas of the stream but I guess they are able to move to other areas.

Congrats, that water DOES look wicked fast. Those must be some strong swimmers. Whats the newt in your avatar by the way?

I guess it must be swimmers explosives, Triturus carnifex avatar is

ADAM told me you´d be going, it would be cool to join you some day, i was very jealous xD

Another time, we are fortunate to have these places with such beautiful flora and fauna, and care must enjoy while you can.

triti

Reaction score
Lovely place to look for these great newts. I've been there and I found many Salamandra salamandra larvaes.

Seems incredible that this specie of newt living in a place so close of big cities such as Barcelona was discovered in december of 2005. Great!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!