Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fall Finds from Georgia

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It seems like no one has posted on here in a while, so I thought I'd share some photos from a day I spent with my dad and my friend Kevin on Pigeon Mountain in Georgia, earlier in October. We ended up with ten species of salamanders that day, and could probably have seen more (we didn't even see two-lined salamanders) if we had searched in streams more. Anyways, here are the photos:

1. A slimy salamander found on a rocky wooded hillside.
2. A very nice cave salamander - these were quite common in limestone boulders on the hillside we searched.
3. The only green salamander we found this trip - found in a boulder which appeared to be limestone with ridges of sandstone embedded in it.
4. The target of our trip - the pigeon mountain salamander. These we our most common salamander for the day; we found about twenty.
5. Perhaps the coolest find of the day - one of two mole salamander found in a dried vernal pond on top of the mountain. Before this day, I had only ever seen one.
6. A marbled salamander guarding eggs under a rock in the same dried vernal pond.
7. A spotted salamander also found in the vicinity of the vernal pond.
8. One of about twelve southern redback salamanders found in the woods on top of the mountain.

Also seen were longtail and spotted dusky salamanders, as well as pickerel frogs, a northern cricket frog, a box turtle, and a worm snake.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen some cool stuff this fall - Show us some of your good finds!

-Ananth

Attachments

• f0375872_sm.jpg
    f0375872_sm.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 941
  • f0486720_Cavesm.jpg
    f0486720_Cavesm.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 365
  • f0736128_sm.jpg
    f0736128_sm.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 332
  • f0893056_PigeonMountainsm.jpg
    f0893056_PigeonMountainsm.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 331
  • f1387520_Molesm.jpg
    f1387520_Molesm.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • f1535552_sm.jpg
    f1535552_sm.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 365
  • f1713600_Spottedsm.jpg
    f1713600_Spottedsm.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 503
  • f1725888_SouthernRedbacksm.jpg
    f1725888_SouthernRedbacksm.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 339
Reactions: sde
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1