Feeding Behavior

IanF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Faux
I've fed my new Juvenile Tigrinum 4 times now, so it's eating and healthy. But for some reason when ever I put the food (only earthworms so far) next to him, he notices it, nudges it around but does not bite it. However the minute I put it in his water dish he promptly crawls in and consumes it happily. Is this normal behavior? The first time I fed him he was in the water dish, so I'm geussing this is the main reason. Is it alright to keep doing this or should I encourage him to not do this?

it might be that since hes a juvenile he's still a little confused about where he should be eating. Those long wet days he spent as a larva might be holding him to the wet feedings.

Yeh I figured that. Should I encourage him not to or just leave it up t him where he eats... I don't see anything wrong with allowing him to do it.

I agree - I don't see anything wrong with feeding him in the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back