Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding

G

gilles

Hi everyone;
I just joined this forum because I finally managed to get some Salamandra salamandra terrestris.
I "own" one which is around 12 cm since one month and half now, and I must say that I don't see it eating a lot. It is always hidden under moss, so it is quite hard to feed...(By the way I feed it waxmorms, crickets and flies).I would like to know if there is a trick to "trigger" hunger with these beautifull animals.I ask this question because I will receive some other terrestris this week, six freshly metamorphosed animals.I really hope I won't have problems to feed them ...I really don't want to lose them, it is now a long time I am seeking this species.
I think I will switch their terrariums to John's device with towel paper and some hidding place, may be this can help getting them a little more "tame", and then easier to feed.
Best regards;and sorry for the lack of vocabulary

Gilles S. (France)

J

john

Hi Gilles,

It's good to hear from you. To be honest, I don't really think there's a trick to feeding them. In my experience, if they're content with their conditions, they eat regularly and quite a lot. If it's too warm (over 20 <SUP>o</SUP>C) or otherwise stressful, they tend to stop eating.

I hope this helps.

G

gilles

Hi john;
good to hear from you too thanks ;)
As you must imagine I am really happy to receive these animals ;)
Unfortunatly it is quite warm out there, even if I do my best for keeping the room cool..It is not easy.I am quite afraid for my axolotls for example.
By the way, I have some new animals (Bombina maxima for example), If you would like to talk...
Best regards,

Gilles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!