Fire bellied newt staying on land

newtlover1976

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello guys! First post on the forums here.
I have had a fire bellied newt for a few years and she has never really liked being in the water, could something be wrong with my water? or could it normal for them to do this? The store I got her from was housing the newts in a very largely aquatic tank. Even directly after I put nice clean (declorinated) water in the tank, she barely wades in it. She will go in the water slightly but never put her head under. Any help would be appreciated! Would like to make her happier.

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Its common for newly purchased Chinese firebellies to refuse to go in the water, but if the conditions are right, they normally return to the water eventually.
Could you post some pics of the newt and the set up? It will make finding the problem much easier.

Here she is in her carry tank and some different views of her tank. There is ranging water depth from some inches deep to nice wading areas and slightly moist rocks. There is a small filter that I run periodically.

Attachments

• tumblr_o1pyz2reIT1s9qx3lo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_o1pyz2reIT1s9qx3lo1_400.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 425
  • tumblr_o1pyz2reIT1s9qx3lo2_400.jpg
    tumblr_o1pyz2reIT1s9qx3lo2_400.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 283
  • tumblr_o1pyz2reIT1s9qx3lo3_540.jpg
    tumblr_o1pyz2reIT1s9qx3lo3_540.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 355
  • tumblr_o1pzxmuHex1s9qx3lo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o1pzxmuHex1s9qx3lo2_1280.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 366
I think a big part of the problem is the habitat, as it is very different from the sort of environment these newts inhabit in the wild. Once you get the proper set up, this species is highly aquatic! Here is the care sheet for Hypselotriton orientalis (the species of your newt): Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly

I would like to point out the text found under the natural range and habitat section: "Researchers have described the natural habitat as “suitable water bodies at various altitudes, mountain ponds, small brooks, flooded fields in mountain valleys...” and "cold still ponds, wells, terraced fields, and ditches". Early researchers also stated “Always the water is cold and quiet, in the shade of grass, with a mud bottom free from stones, and the animals frequently swim up to the surface, darting back and forth actively.” Though this information is limited, it gives clear hints on how to approach keeping this species in captivity."

So, I recommend removing the gravel completely and either leaving the tank bare bottomed with no substrate at all or using washed sand. I have used both methods with this species and both work well. The problem with the gravel is not only is it not something the newts would choose to inhabit, but it works great at trapping debris and fouling up your water. Cleaning it usually entails removing all the gravel and rinsing well on a regular and frequent basis, thus disturbing the newt. More so than routine water changes do.

Also, I cannot stress enough the importance of live plants in your newt's aquarium. And a lot of them. Enough so that they block the back of the aquarium from view. All the hiding places reduce stress and assist in water quality, elements that will make your newt feel more at home in the water. I recommend plants like elodea and java moss. They will need a light source, but have low-medium lighting needs.

And fill up the tank with water. More water means more stable water chemistry, so add enough water so that the tank is filled to about 90% capacity. As long as you have lots of plants near the surface where the newt can rest on while it returns to a more aquatic and proper lifestyle, it should be fine. With lots of plants you won't need a filter so that will keep the water "cold and quiet," just like the description of their habitat. Do frequent water changes, though - aim for 20% water change per week. Make sure the water is cool and aged, though! No warmer that 70F, and cooler is better.

Here you will find articles on various aspects of newt care, including housing and water quality:Caudata Culture Articles. Read and reread it all and ask questions if you need to.

A complete overhaul of your husbandry methods my be a little overwhelming, but your newt's health and quality of life will be greatly improved. And they really are so much more enjoyable when they elicit natural behaviors!

Good luck!

HJ

Thanks so much!!! Is there any specific sand I should buy? And what sort of plants should I be looking at? Would a variety of plants look better or is one kind good. How do you guys thing that I should be going about making this change? I read somewhere that slowely putting in more water to eliminate the land might help to get them aquatic again, would this be advisable or should I do it all at once. Is there any danger of her being harmed if I switch her over all at once?
Thanks once again for your answer there.

I always use kid's play sand, just rinse it through in a bucket of water and you're good to go.
As for plants, any fast growing type will do. The pondweed type ones that petstores sell in bunches are fine.
You can use the search function and find almost any info you need about housing firebellies, but this thread should give you some pointers. :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...ypselotriton/80289-no-newts-water-months.html

I just go 3 of these from Redear, they're awesome, these things are wired when it comes to entering water but by the time they are 3 or 4 they should be at least semi aquatic then about fully about a year later. Although I have that is one and has barely came out of water past 2 days and it came in on the 27th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I removed the gravel, grabbed some "all natural living frog moss", sand and a short water sprite plant, planning to get more when i'm able to up the water levels. Does this sound okay? The sand sure made the water cloudy :eek: I'll post a picture in a few hours once the water has settled

Last edited:
Here it is right now, going to add some moss that sticks up from the ground though to provide hiding areas, and over time im going to add more water (need to let some more de chlorinate) as I do that I might stand up the second plant (or leave it floating we will see). How does this setup look?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 331
Its much better already. :)
Its normal for the sand to make the water a bit cloudy, its almost impossible to wash all the dirt out before you use it.

More plants will be even better, you can't have too many plants for firebellies! leaving some to just float on the surface is perfect, newts love to rest in floating plants where they can reach the surface easily to breath.

If you don't have any already, it would be a good idea to get some water test kits for ammonia and nitrite. You can get them at any good petstore and they're very easy to use, they will show you how much waste from the newt has built up in the water and when a partial water change is necessary. If can't get the test kits, I would say change 1/3 of the water every three days at the moment, as the tank becomes established you can leave it a lot longer, but waste levels will build up very quickly to begin with.

Yep, iv got an ammonia testing strips, but what level constitutes a water change? And I really wanted to get some variety of plants in there, my pet store only had the water sprites. What sort of plants would she like best? I'm thinking about ordering small quantities online. I'm looking for plants that have low/medium light requirements for in the water that clean well and some sort of moss for when the pillow moss there isn't useful anymore (I read that it does not like to be over watered). Are there any underwater mosses that newts like?
Thank you guys so much for your help, I know Steven appreciates it too.

Ideally the ammonia and nitrite levels should be almost zero, but in a freshly set up tank you can get high readings of both as the tank cycles, these must be brought down with partial water changes. The plants will help a lot, so as Heather has already said, don't underestimate their importance. Here is a basic guide to cycling an aquarium.

A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

As for plants you really need fast growing types like Anacharis (the pondweed looking stuff that petstores sell in bunches) or Hydracotile, but you can use other stuff as well. Java moss and Java ferns do very well in lowish light levels, so do marimo moss balls if you can find them. I buy almost all my plants from ebay and I would definitely recommend it, they always turn up in good shape and are cheaper than in the petstores.

How dows a hornwart and a small sword pot sound? I read that they need a little more light but are good at cleaning. I ordered a grow light to put into my aquarium, so I beleive that the lighting should be sufficient. The thing is I'm a little worried about the water sprites not doing well untill that light comes in, it had a long shipping time. Would the plain white light already in my aquarium take care of them for a couple weeks? Or would that bright light scare my newt a bit. It is quite bright.

Here is the tank with the light on. Should be a lot more hiding spaces when I get more plants. As you can see the light is quite bright.
EDIT: sorry I did not notice that the picture was sideways before posting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 356
Hornwort is a good choice, Its fast growing and undemanding as far as lighting goes so its very good for newt tanks.
I can't really help with the water sprite, I've tried to grow it several times and failed, even with excellent lighting. It just seems to melt away for some reason.
I think the white lighting will be fine for the moment, as long as there are plenty of hiding places for the newt.

Hey guys, I'm noticing some oily slick on the surface of the water? I cleaned it up yesterday but it formed overnight again. Could this be from the cussion moss of the plants? Should I be worried about it throwing off my water cycles? The picture here is the remains of it when I did a 1/3 water change. Thanks.

Sorry the picture didn't upload properly. Here is one that I got of one of the larger slicks in a scooping cup. As you can see it is a musty yellow colour.
EDIT: could this possibly be from very small sand molecules getting kicked up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 362
Yes, it looks like sediment from the sand or moss it shouldn't upset the cycling process, so just scoop it away. Its common to get that kind of thing in a tank with still water, even an established one. You can use a slowly bubbling airstone to break up and disperse it if you want, but as long as the ammonia and nitrite levels are acceptable its not detrimental in any way.
How's the newt coping with the change in lifestyle? I guess he can take his sunglasses off now the pink gravel has gone! ;) :)

She seems to be enjoying it. So far she explored the land portion of her tank and during they day hides out in the leaves and moss. Every day I am slightly increasing the water levels and once my grow light gets in (hopefully within the week), im going to express order some Java moss, a Java fern, hornwort, and a rotala indica so that she will have lots of nice plants in the water to hide in and keep the water nice. I'll continue to up the water levels more and by then hopefully she will be happy hiding out in the water plants. As of right now she seems tentative about entering the water and im not sure if I should push her to quite yet.

It can be a slow process, especially as she's been on land for so long. You're going the right way about it, the thing is, to make sure she can't dry herself completely, it sounds a bit unfair, but its the best way of nudging terrestrial newts to go back to the water. You can also try offering her food like chopped nightcrawlers or whatever her favourite is in the shallow water as well, once she starts feeding in the water, stop offering her food on land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back