Fire-belly fat, bloated, or pregnant?

jkpetey11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacqui
I have had these three fire-bellies for about a year now, and I have always observed when feeding and have never noticed one getting more food than the others. But lately this one in particular has gained TONS of weight. I know for a fact he doesn't get more food than the others because like I said I observe feeding, and I was informed that bloating affects the entire body not just the abdominal area. Is that true? I only have them in this small cup for comparison reasons, they live in a ten gallon. Can anyone give me an opinion or point me to a thread that will help? I'm not too concerned because he is not acting sick in any way and acts like a perfect newt :D But I don't understand how it could be pregnant because I thought you had to go through a whole ordeal to induce pregnancy. OH and his/her cloaca is not swollen, but it seems to jut/stretch out further than usual so i have no idea what sex it is. The other one has a very swollen cloaca hinting that it is a male while the other's is not. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,482
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,255
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,772
Well that's surprising!! How do I know if they will be fertilized, or if they will just be blanks?? Can anyone point me to a reliable forum or link?? Because I have no idea what to do and I can't seem to find anything online. How do I ensure they will be fertilized?? Anything will help! Thanks for your help!!!

Yup she was pregnant! :D Laying eggs all over the place. Now just gotta wait and see if they're fertile.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 944
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 922
AW: Re: Fire-belly fat, bloated, or pregnant?

Let me know if you decide to sell any of the efts! =)

I'll let you know! Seems my second female is gravid as well. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back