Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Salamander birth questions

Llamaguy36

Reaction score
My fire salamander gave birth to 6 little guys about a week ago. She hasn't given birth to any more since, even though she is still very large. Is there a way to coax her into releasing the rest of her larvae?

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Fire Salamander birth questions

every evening at dusk ensure with a fine sprayer for high humidity -
so it works with my female

Attachments

• Frei Sa 30.11.2012 020 (Groß).jpg
    Frei Sa 30.11.2012 020 (Groß).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 2,963
  • Frei Sa 30.11.2012 001 (Groß).jpg
    Frei Sa 30.11.2012 001 (Groß).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 4,018
  • MITTWOCH 05.12.2012 001 (Groß).jpg
    MITTWOCH 05.12.2012 001 (Groß).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 789
  • MITTWOCH 05.12.2012 003 (Groß).jpg
    MITTWOCH 05.12.2012 003 (Groß).jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2,903

wargar

Reaction score
Mine gave birth for over a month, think they have stopped now, but one of them is still on the large side. I did notice that on the nights when they had the most, it had been raining outside (even though they are inside) so maybe low air pressure had something to do with it.

Dave

Llamaguy36

Reaction score
This is my female. She is 5 years old. I've got little terra cotta water holders set up inside the tank which she has given birth in before. The 6 little guys she had are in a 5 gallon plastic tub with java moss, ricia, dead leaves and gravel. They are a little more than an inch long and are eating chopped earthworms and fruit flies.

Attachments

• Girthy.jpg
    Girthy.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 754
  • Breeding pots.jpg
    Breeding pots.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 5,626
  • Larvae tank.jpg
    Larvae tank.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 568
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1