Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Salamander larvae in the water right now

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the Salamandra larvae I've currently got in the water.

full

There are the following types:
  • Salamandra s. salamandra "Beschkovi"
  • S. s. gallaica "Serra de Grandola"
  • S. s. gallaica "Coimbra"
  • S. s. gallaica "Serra de Arrábida"
  • S. s. terrestris "Solling Hills" high yellow x red
Most of the "Serra de Arrábida" have metamorphosed and the others are in various stages of development.

I'm hoping for more larvae and still holding out hope for some gigliolii.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Hi john, i have some baby S.s.terestris, how long do they take to morph ? I cant find any reliable info, thanks.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi john, i have some baby S.s.terestris, how long do they take to morph ? I cant find any reliable info, thanks.
Depends on a lot of factors. Anywhere from 2 months to 7. Best indicator is size - if you're doing it right then they should metamorphose after hitting a minimum of 5 cm, preferably 6-7 cm.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response , much appreciated. One of my females dropped fifteen babies and i have never raised this species before.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response , much appreciated. One of my females dropped fifteen babies and i have never raised this species before.
Keep them below 20 °C (I would try to keep them 12-16 °C), lots of space/low numbers per container, and if you have access to blackworms, use those.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Have them in my shed so its nice and cool, aged planted tanks with plenty of live food, black worm, daphnia, hog lice, gammarus, i add a few white worm aswell, they are filling out nicely. Thanks for the help.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
While variety is nice, I'm a big believer in just using blackworms and keeping everything simple. I haven't lost a larva since early 2018.

xxianxx

Reaction score
They are not readily available in the uk, i have to culture my own, so supply is limited and gets spread around several species. Its a good food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!