Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Free Chytrid Testing for Salamanders

BlakeK

Reaction score
The Amphibian Survival Alliance is now working with hobbyists to help fight salamander declines! They have just announced that they will be offering free chytrid testing (both Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans) for 500 salamanders.

Recently, the emerging fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans has been in the news quite a lot. There is much concern that the pathogen could cause large declines in North American salamander populations. In the Netherlands, the fungus lead to a 96% decline in a Fire salamander population in just 3 years.

It has been shown that the fungus is lethal to our common, but beautiful, Eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens) and the Rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa). A few species in North America have been shown to either tolerate or resist infection, but the fate of many species, if infected, is still unknown.

Several European species, besides Fire salamanders, have been shown to be susceptible too, including: Lissotriton italicus, Ichthyosaura alpestris, Pleurodeles waltl, Triturus cristatus, and Neurergus crocatus. Many of these species are adored by us in the hobby (rightfully so!).

If the fungus makes it to North America, it has the potential to not only cause great damage to our native salamander diversity but private collections too. I have read several stories about people's frog collection being wiped out by chytrid fungus, it worries me that the same fate may be possible with my salamanders.

More information can be found below, I hope it helps. For the love of the salamanders, lets get them tested.

Be A Salamander Hero | Amphibians.org

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I signed up to get a test kit. It seems to me they should just require this testing for all sales or trades for relevant species/situations. Perhaps such a thing could provide additional safety and curb the urge to "ban" species. I forsee interstate bans in the future.

mladaboleslaw

Reaction score
The Amphibian Survival Alliance is now working with hobbyists to help fight salamander declines! They have just announced that they will be offering free chytrid testing (both Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans) for 500 salamanders.

Recently, the emerging fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans has been in the news quite a lot. There is much concern that the pathogen could cause large declines in North American salamander populations. In the Netherlands, the fungus lead to a 96% decline in a Fire salamander population in just 3 years.

It has been shown that the fungus is lethal to our common, but beautiful, Eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens) and the Rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa). A few species in North America have been shown to either tolerate or resist infection, but the fate of many species, if infected, is still unknown.

Several European species, besides Fire salamanders, have been shown to be susceptible too, including: Lissotriton italicus, Ichthyosaura alpestris, Pleurodeles waltl, Triturus cristatus, and Neurergus crocatus. Many of these species are adored by us in the hobby (rightfully so!).

If the fungus makes it to North America, it has the potential to not only cause great damage to our native salamander diversity but private collections too. I have read several stories about people's frog collection being wiped out by chytrid fungus, it worries me that the same fate may be possible with my salamanders.

More information can be found below, I hope it helps. For the love of the salamanders, lets get them tested.

I welcome. How to register? To what www address...:D

mladaboleslaw

Reaction score
I signed up to get a test kit. It seems to me they should just require this testing for all sales or trades for relevant species/situations. Perhaps such a thing could provide additional safety and curb the urge to "ban" species. I forsee interstate bans in the future.
Aaaa sorry
ATTENTION: United States ONLY :-(

herpguy

Reaction score
Wow, this is very interesting. Who is funding the testing? Is it paid for by grants?

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
I'm participating! Just received an email to say that kits have been sent. Only problem is that I sort of doubled my salamander collection since registering. :D

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I received my tests the other day. I don't expect to find anything, but since I am growing my collection I want to be 100% sure. If you need more tests done, Research Associates says they can test for both Chytrids

I am planning on using them for all new animals I bring in.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Making this thread a sticky. Free tests are still available.

BlakeK

Reaction score
Thanks you for all who have participated. We have been receiving swabs over the past few weeks. We will begin the analysis shortly, when all swabs have been returned. At this time we will not be sending out any more test kits.

-Blake

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Any idea if free testing is being done in the UK and how I go about it?
All my animals are healthy, is just as a precaution

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would get my lot tested, they are all healthy, but you never know what you're pouring down the drain when doing water changes.

BlakeK

Reaction score
Free Bsal/Bd testing is being made available once again! Below is the link to sign up to receive kits. At this time we are only offering testing for salamanders in the U.S. and please limit the number of swabs to 40.

Thank you to everybody that participated in the past!

Jake

Reaction score
I didn't see anything about a chytrid test on that site, just for B.salamandrivorans. Is it a separate form for chytrid testing?

Last edited:

BlakeK

Reaction score
We will be running duplex PCR, so swabs will be tested for B. salamandrivorans and B. dendrobatidis in a single test. Let me know if you have any other questions.

BlakeK

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

If you requested a testing kit this early winter please check the email account that you signed up with for an urgent update.

I have been informed that the ruling will also apply to swabs used in the testing kit that come in contact with listed species. For this reason, I will be shipping as many testing kits as I can tomorrow afternoon. I understand that this is very short notice. If the swabs used in your testing kit comes in contact with a species listed under the new rule, it will need to be sent so that it can be received before January 28.

Why is it important to have your salamanders tested before January 28?

The presence of Bsal in private collections is currently unknown. Having your salamanders tested will help provide evidence for understanding if Bsal occurs in private collections. By submitting your test kits, it may support the future of the salamander hobby and it may truly be the last time that this data can be gathered before the door is shut.

If you wish to receive a kit and did not register before registration was closed, send a message to me.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Blake. We want to encourage all US hobbyists to avail of this free testing service. We will be using the results anonymously to show USFWS that private collections don't have this disease. Please test asap because the ban on the 28th will stop us sending test samples over state lines to Blake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!