Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting non feeding bufo viridis to eat

Eri@thwen

Reaction score
Basically 2 weeks ago, I bought 3x 1cm European Green Toadlets. 2 have been fantastic, the other was pretty thin, so i separated him, he shows nothing but fear towards food such as ff's and small crickets. he has eaten 3 calci worms and thats about it however he has passed about 5 poos so his digestive system is doing ok. Anyone got any tips on what i can do? Im getting hold of some rehydration fluid to see if that helps but any other tips would be great!

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You can try other food items like dwarf isopods or white worms but some morphs will always fail to thrive. It's just natures way.

ajr104

Reaction score
Keep offering him food but at the same time to not offer too much food, so not to bother him, and try not to interfere with him too much. This will eliminate stress. Unfortunately, some froglets/toadlets will not survive, it is sad but that is why these animals have lots of babies.

Did you get these from dartfrog? Do you have any pictures? I noticed they had some at the moment.

Eri@thwen

Reaction score
Thanks both, iv tried him on bloodworms and daphnia today, which got him snapping at them a little but whether any were eaten im not sure...iv just left him with some more calci worms and a cricket or 2, will check on him later.

They were indeed from Dartfrog, and apart from the skinny one, they've been brilliant and healthy.

Heres the skinny one 2 days ago after he decided to eat 2 calci worms and put a little weight on, hes normally a fair amount skinnier, as he is now.
47114_3689510077164_12516787_n.jpg

And heres the 2 healthier ones, who I couldnt be happier with!

320322_3689509997162_1474756599_n.jpg

Eri@thwen

Reaction score
Managed to get the little fella to eat 2 crickets in the early hours of the morning :D sooo happy. Still going to be a struggle I think but its a great start. Any more tips greatly appreciated!

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Give the toads a basking lamp. This species basks a lot and will do a lot better, particularly as toadlets, when provided with a basking site. You can use a normal incandescent bulb to provide temperatures of around 25C in the hottest spot (they will use hotter, but for small toads a slightly cooler temp will prevent problems of getting too dry), with a cooler end at the other end of the tank.You will be suprised by how much time they spend under the bulb and how much more the feed and grow with access to it. Just make sure that the cool end of the tank is kept moist and a water dish in placed there, too.

UVB light may also be beneficial, which should be provided at the hot end of the tank so that they are exposed while basking.

Also, be careful with calciworms; lots of toads I have fed them to pass them undigested, so they don't get any nutrients or energy from them.

Good luck

C

Eri@thwen

Reaction score
Give the toads a basking lamp. This species basks a lot and will do a lot better, particularly as toadlets, when provided with a basking site. You can use a normal incandescent bulb to provide temperatures of around 25C in the hottest spot (they will use hotter, but for small toads a slightly cooler temp will prevent problems of getting too dry), with a cooler end at the other end of the tank.You will be suprised by how much time they spend under the bulb and how much more the feed and grow with access to it. Just make sure that the cool end of the tank is kept moist and a water dish in placed there, too.

UVB light may also be beneficial, which should be provided at the hot end of the tank so that they are exposed while basking.

Also, be careful with calciworms; lots of toads I have fed them to pass them undigested, so they don't get any nutrients or energy from them.

Good luck

C

Thanks :) will give that a go. Tonight has been the 3rd night in a row that he has eaten so im over the moon he's on the mend, hopefully the bulbs will be a good boost for him too. Incase any one is wondering or having similar problems, hes taking bean weevils and crickets at the moment. Thankfully he went off the calci worms.. really didnt like the idea of him having those as a staple!

ajr104

Reaction score
Great news, probably just took some time to settle, not unusual but always worrying as they loose weight quick and put it back on slowly! Taken me s few months to get weight on my baby H.arborea (also from dartfrog, all fairly skinny on arrival)

Eri@thwen

Reaction score
Great news, probably just took some time to settle, not unusual but always worrying as they loose weight quick and put it back on slowly! Taken me s few months to get weight on my baby H.arborea (also from dartfrog, all fairly skinny on arrival)

It is indeed, when he went so skeletal i was really scared he wasnt going to pull back from it. But 4th night in a row hes eaten, got him on 2 feeds a day now hes taking them and has eaten 6 crickets during the day :) really putting some weight back on now!

I should think its fairly common with species that have such huge amounts of babies that some will get out competed by their siblings. Hope all your H.aborea are doing well now though :)

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, In addition to the fine suggestions offered, you may want to think about the substrate..not sure of ID, but seems to stick eassily to toads etc...blockaged not uncommon, even though they swallow soil etc in wild. Always good to vary diet; I favor wild caught insects (if care is taken)...found throughout my career that novel foods often get an enthusiastic response. Further ideas, suggestions here: Frog Diets - Nutritious Foods for Popularly-Kept Frogs and Toads best, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!