Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gigliolii

Steve Roman

Reaction score
I got these last August as captive bred babies . When they arrived I was appalled by their condition. Several months and many earthworms later they are looking pretty good. The largest is about 70mm

Attachments

• _W5J2968.jpg
    _W5J2968.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 595
  • _W5J2964.jpg
    _W5J2964.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 507
  • _W5J2970.jpg
    _W5J2970.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 489
  • _W5J2960.jpg
    _W5J2960.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 498
  • _W5J2966-2.jpg
    _W5J2966-2.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 448
Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Roman

Reaction score
Re: Giglioloi

Here is what they looked like when I got them.

Attachments

• _W5J2650C.jpg
    _W5J2650C.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 597
  • Poor 1.jpg
    Poor 1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Poor 2.jpg
    Poor 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 523

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Splendid work. I heard that the gigliolii that came in this year were in bad shape. Glad to see such a turn around.

benw

Reaction score
Hi Steve

You have done well there, as a salamandra keeper it saddens me to see youngsters like that, well indeed any animal.

It would have taken a good bit of perseverance, and it will make the Gigliolli more special to you, and it great to see them slowly put on more weight.

Well done.

Ben

wouter

Reaction score
Are you certain these are gigliolii? These are for sure no "pure ones" from southern Italy. They could be integrades from central-northern Italy, but with those blunt snouts and short toes they really look like S. corsica to me...

Steve Roman

Reaction score
Are you certain these are gigliolii? These are for sure no "pure ones" from southern Italy. They could be integrades from central-northern Italy, but with those blunt snouts and short toes they really look like S. corsica to me...
Nope, not certain. They don't look like southern gigliolii at this point, but perhaps that may change with time?. They don't look like salamandra or terrestris. Central-northern Italy might be the best guess. Corsica would be fine with me. In any event they are nice looking animals. I will provide updates as they grow and develop.

benw

Reaction score
Steve,
Whatever they prove to be, it will be interesting especially the more orange spotted ones, would be a bonus if you have orange gigliolli or corsica.

Ben

tdimler

Reaction score
Steve,

Again, good work with these! When you showed me the original photos I was not too optimistic but they look splendid now. I do think they are gigliolii, certainly not the southern form, but I have raised groups that looked similar to this and their yellow will increase with age. I can confidently say they are not S. corsica. The report on most of the imported morphs is grim as others have mentioned. I would be surprised if 10% of them are still living. They were in a delicate state when they arrived and were not fed well or kept at proper temperatures at the wholesalers. Is anyone aware of the origin of these imports?

Travis

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve, can you give any husbandry details on how you brought them back from the brink? It looks like you keep them on paper towels with cork bark. How did you get them eating? What temperature did you keep them at?

Steve Roman

Reaction score
Steve, can you give any husbandry details on how you brought them back from the brink? It looks like you keep them on paper towels with cork bark. How did you get them eating? What temperature did you keep them at?

To start out with they are kept on unmarked moist paper towels in ventilated plastic containers. Raised pieces of bark are placed in rows with a light layer of dry leaves placed on top. This provides emotional cover and provides easy access for feeding. They are not under the bark, but between pieces of it, like little canyons.
Initially they were feed 1/4 to 1/2 pieces of 25mm long earthworms. Cutting the worms also adds in quick digestion. They were feed once every 12 hours or so. If they refused food they were skipped until the next cycle or tried again a few hours later. Food was offered on a fine tweezer or placed in front of them. Care was given not to overfeed, their stomach appearance and droppings were individually noted.
As they grew stronger and larger, larger worms up to 50mm were given and now sometimes full worms. Each is feed by hand and individually. Paper toweling is changed every two days. Some small pinhead crickets were also offered, however these were not preferred. At present waxworms are given once every 10 days. Waxworms are fatty and should not be given as a staple. Waxworms are punctured also to aid in digestion, but also so that the salamanders can taste the waxworm. They don't favor un-punctured dry waxworms.
Temperature is about 68'F, a little warmer then I would prefer, however it should get better now that winter has set in. They are kept in subdued light. They are kept in two containers, 4 + 3. They are now feed every other day or so.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That is outstanding work. Mine did not fare so well. I treated them the same as I do my own c.b. salamandra and lost all of the imports.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Amazing work turning around those poor imports into healthy individuals. They certainly look like healthy animals now. I can only imagine the time and effort that was required to maintain that schedule of care you noted.

I'm also glad to see at least one other Minnesotan caudate keeper here. I was afraid I was the only one!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
What size were they when you acquired them and what size are they now, Steve?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!