Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Guppies: Breeding + Food for Axolotls

auntiejude

Reaction score
This poisoning is a serious subject and we "all" should be on a level playing field in discussing the problems that comes from it.
May I count you in?
Of course Willowcat - sensible discussion is what this forum should be about.

Looking to buy a tub of earthworms for my axies, does anyone know of a good place to buy ? , thank you
You can buy worms online from organic gardening supplies, bait suppliers etc. or if you have suitable 'clean' soil to harvest from you can attract worms with damp cardboard (as mentioned above) or an old pair of jeans (!), slices of cooked potato or mash. You need untreated compost and a large bucket with lid (make air holes with a hot pin) to keep them in. Feed them cooked veg scraps, especially potatoes.

If you use the medium sized ones to feed to axies - finger sized but without a breeding saddle - you'll never run short. my farm is about to be split in two becasue I have so many worms.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
My axies are housed with about 7ish ghost shrimp and 6 adult guppies that give birth frequently which i'm surprised since the water is much colder than the 78F needed for guppies. I've had mosquito fish in the past and found that they are wayy more aggressive than guppies. The guppies never go near the axolotls unless i'm feeding them blackworms which it seems brings everyone together in my tank. The guppies are very colorful (1 red, 1 orange, 1 blue, 1 white, 2 black) but they were always meant as food. I guess I just have the worlds friendliest axies :)

sphynx

Reaction score
Actually I have white cloud mountain minnows in my tank, they're super friendly and don't bother the axolotls. Every time I think I'm missing one, they seem to pop up somewhere. My axolotls don't enjoy eating live food... Originally they were meant for my little guilty pleasure of watching them eat them. None were eaten.

axowattyl

Reaction score
Wow,

Maybe your axolotls can give mine lessons in anger management.

I put 20 glass shrimp in with mine and they immediately started patrolling the tank and hunting them.

I saw 2 get eaten in the first hour, and I've only seen a couple this morning.

White cloud minnows are a great fish, and I have a school of 30 of them (in another tank) with glass shrimp and am attempting to breed both as a secondary food source to my worm farm.

sphynx

Reaction score
when i noticed that they weren't being eaten, i moved them to another tank. There wasn't much light and they started losing colour, so i decided to put them back into the axolotl tank where i have light for the plants. Looking at my tank now, i counted 14/16 although I just know that i'm either miscounting or 2 of them are hiding out behind the driftwood/ in the floating plants or something. hahaha,

Once i get a light for the other side of the room i'll end up moving the wcmm's over. Maybe i'll try guppies haha. maybe theyre a little slower :p

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Here's some pictures of the guppies in the tank along with some ghost shrimp. The guppies are pregnant but probably wont give birth since the temperature is about 18-19C.

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

Joff3005

Reaction score
My axies won't touch anything other than earthworms. They ignore guppies, or anything at all that's not worms.

soberish

Reaction score
My lad has just got some male guppies and will not let me introduce a female so I can feed mine the off spring at all !!!

I understand where he's coming from but I've paid for everything !!!

Sassafras

Reaction score
When I was breeding platys (they're crazy breeders, really easy) I had them all in their own tank with with a colander the babies could fit through but not the parents, as well as some shallow hiding plant like the ones in the link. Pretty low maintenance.
Penn Plax Aqua Plant Baby Hide-Out at PETCO

Boomsloth

Reaction score
My axolotls have eaten all but two of the original female guppies from my earlier pictures. I moved them their own tank a while back and they gave birth... a few times... Some interesting colors though

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

darren79

Reaction score
Ignore my recommendation from 4 years ago talking about Mosquito Fish in Western Australia. They carry some sort of parasite that caused our axys to become skinny and die.
Also technically in the Perth metro area, most 'mosquitoe fish' are Phalloceros harpagos not Gambusia. They eat aquatic invertebrates and plants, not mosquito larvae....(our army and local governments introduced them, and no wonder they had no effect on controlling mosquito borne diseases...).

FungalZombie

Reaction score
I'm curious, I just got axies a little while ago, how big should they be to eat guppies?
How good is feeding guppies to them either, I want to know if it's worth breeding them for food or if they should be bought just for a special treat.

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just got my 2 axolotls from a guy on Craig's list and he said he feeds them shrimp from Kroger cut up in to bits is this safe any information is appreciated thanks

Sweetie

Reaction score
How old are your axies? If they are under six months of age, you can feed them frozen bloodworm. As soon as they are able to manage it (by the time they are about five inches long), you should introduce them to live earthworms. This will be their staple food for the rest of their adult lives. It is the cheapest, easiest and most nutritionally balanced food you can serve! :D
A few basics:
* Tank Substrate: Do NOT have beads or gravel or stones in your tank. Ever. Anything that is not bigger than your axie's head is a danger - your axie can (and probably will) swallow it, risking fatal impaction. If your axies are under five inches, it is better not to even use sand on the bottom of your tank, as they will eat this too and in little lotls, sand can also cause fatal impactions. So a bare bottom is best, at least to begin with. It's also heaps easier to keep clean.
* Tank Size: Adult axies need 10 gallons per axolotl, preferably in a long tank (floor space is more important than depth for axies - the water only needs to be as deep as the axie is long). Younger ones can do with less space, but you should be planning to upgrade within a few months if they are in less than the 20 gallons two adult axies will need.
* Water: Which brings me to my final (and possibly most important) point: if you don't already know about cycling a tank, PLEASE read the Sticky about it on this site. The number one rule to keeping axolotls healthy is to give them the right water conditions. That means a temperature of no more than 20 celcius (16 to 18 is better) so an accurate aquarium thermometer is a must. Then you will need a good test kit (liquid NOT test strips) to monitor ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in your tank - the first two can be fatal to your axies. If your tank is not cycled, you will need to do daily partial water changes (with tap water treated to remove chlorine/chloramines, at the same temperature as the tank to avoid temperature shock) to keep the levels of these chemicals within safe limits for your lotls.

Other members will give you lots of great advice (eg axies do not like a strong current from the filter, for the safety of your axies do not put ANY other species in the tank, but if you do, quarantine for a month first and do your research on the species, axies need places to hide in their tank, and heaps more useful info). So ask any questions you have.
If you already know some or all of the above, I'm sorry to bore you. But if you are a newbie, it saves time to start with a summary of the important stuff. Hope this helps!
Welcome to the joys of life with lotls! :D

kjnorman

Reaction score
I have ~5 adult guppies in the tank with my adult axolotls, they seem to breed just fine despite lower temp.
The lotls are reluctant to eat the guppies because they hang out at the top most of the time, but every now and then one disappears.
I transfer newborn baby guppies to the tanks where I have my juvenile axoltols (about 4 months old now) and some of the juvies eat baby guppies, especially if I leave them over night.
Inevtiably a few baby guppies escape my net and end up growing up in the axolotl tank. When there start to be too many, I euthanize a few of the guppies using chilled water (as per the American Veterinary Medical Association guidelines for euthanizing laboratory fish) and use tongs to feed them to the axoltols.

My babies have been eating baby guppies since they were about 3 months old - newborn guppies are pretty tiny!

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Thanks sweetie ya I know most of the basics never hurts to revisit information tho my axolotl doesn't like worms at all iv been told to keep offering and he should eat before he starves or Blanche them and I'm going to try that just wanting thoughts on feeding them shrimp for human consumption like jumbo shrimp from Kroger cut up in to bits of course that is what the previous owner gave them to eat I have sand for substrate water conditions are good they seem happy and healthy just want to keep them that way im currently feeding with ghost shrimp and feeder fish every other day with trying worms a couple times a week the other axolotl will eat the worms

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Oh and not sure on age but they are 5inches maby + a little bit they eat vigorously and we adapted to each other very quickly in the first couple days they stopped snatching the food and running they bite and wait for me to let it go and a picture of pinky and the brain in there 30gal there are flat rocks on the pot to give cover and break up the water fall im saving up for plants

Attachments

• 20140607_170049.jpg
    20140607_170049.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 865

Sweetie

Reaction score
If they are saltwater, rinse them thoroughly. Otherwise, they should be fine for now. But hopefully, s/he will start eating worms. Presume you've tried blanching to remove the nasty taste of the worm's defensive secretions (dash under hot water a couple of seconds, then cold to prevent cooking of the worm)? If you cut the worm into pieces, use scissors (a knife squishes the worm) - a live worm keeps wriggling even in pieces, which the axies like.
Your little ones look happy in their set-up. Absolutely adore the names btw - we're all waiting for the day lotls take over the world! :D

ks85

Reaction score
I have guppies breeding like crazy in a separate tank, in a warmer room. I personally like guppies anyway, they are the fancy ones (I enjoy them), so I keep some of the prettier ones and give the smaller not as fancy ones to my other fish (and axolotl) as food. Not everyday. They do enjoy stalking them and snapping them up though! They also like feeder fish that are a bit bigger once they are full grown, but hey, if I can just breed them and save money, why not! :)

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Guppies are extremely easy to breed. Just put a male and a female guppy in their own small tank and BOOM. You don't need special nets or anything. Some of the babies will live, and you can feed them to your axolotl. Then the guppies will have MORE babies, and, if you leave some of the babies in there, THEY will have babies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1