Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hej!

parski

Reaction score
My name is Pär and I live in Stockholm, Sweden.

My fiancée and I recently adopted a family of three Chinese fire belly newts living in a 48 litre aquarium. We bought a new 375 litre aquarium and are in the process of scaping a new paludarium for them. They eat well and are super charming.

I hope to learn lots from you all.

Last edited:

parski

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Greetings from nearby, Finland ;)

Hei soumi! You also have firebellies? Our older female just laid three eggs and we're interested in what we should feed the larvae once they hatch. We bought a fine mesh net today to try to catch some daphnia from our closest lake but I'd like a backup plan. Got any tips?

AuSu

Reaction score
Yes, I also have firebellies. I just let the babies be in the same tank with adults and they seem to feed with some micro creatures that are available in an aqarium. Now summertime, I catch also mosquito larvae from outdoors, they are easily available in rain water buckets and also adults snack them (of course they are not suitable for the tiniest new hatchlings) 😊

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1