Photo: Help me Identify this mystery Insect Larvae!

benh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone!

Whilst cleaning out my Axie Colin's tank a couple of days ago, I spotted this little fella attached to a bit of dead plant at the bottom of the tank. I think there are 3 in there from snooping around - the photo is of the biggest one, it's just over 1cm in length & white.

Looking online, they seem similar to a Dragonfly or Damselfly larva - but, as this tank is in my bedroom, and I've not seen any of these flies around, I'm rather puzzled?!
If anybody has any clue as to what they are, and if I should remove them or not (with the view I'm going to introduce some red cherry shrimp to the tank soon) then that would be a great help :happy:
Larvae.jpg

Help me solve this puzzle! Hehe. Thanks!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
It´s a damselfly larva for sure.
It poses no danger to an adult axolotl, but it will predate on the cherry shrimp.
I would take them out inmediately, there´s no point for them to be in the tank.

Have you used water, plants, or decoration from a pond? I find it rather difficult that they were laid there by an adult, they must have arrived from something you put in.

benh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the prompt reply! :happy:

Cool - well, at least I know what they are now! The mystery is how they got there...
The last plants I put in my tank were bought from an aquarium shop several months ago, so I doubt they came from there? Nothing from a pond has been near my tank as far as I know, and like you, I can't see how a damselfly has got in my room and laid its eggs without me noticing?? I guess it's possible, but I've not even seen any this year & I live on a main road.

The only thing I can think of is that I feed my Axie worms from the garden, and that the eggs got in there that way somehow? Hmmm.

Well, I'll try and collect them up & release them into a pond near where I live I guess :D
Thanks.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Although i ignore the species, damselflies usually lay their eggs inside plants, so perhaps they came with the plants (who knows where they were before the petshop).
They are brilliant creatures, with a fascinating hunting equipment.

daniellog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Dan
Quick! Kill It!...freaky thing.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
NooooOOOOOooooOOoooo....!
Why would he kill them? They have every right to exist, plus they rid you off mosquitoes, so you should be thanking damselflies :p

deliriah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Go with your idea of releasing them to a pond. They are voracious predators and your shrimp will get eaten. But please don't kill them, they are beneficial in nature.

benh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't worry! I wouldn't kill them.
May keep them a little longer just to observe around the tank, they're interesting creatures - but I know a local pond which I can release them into, so they'll be fine :D

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
A. Macxicanum
Quick! Kill It!...freaky thing.

I gotta go with Dan on this one. It looks like a dangerous alien from another planet (albeit a pretty small planet) and regardless of your expertise I will continue to view it as such. I kill everything that even remotely scares me regardless of what or whom it may be. Right now I'm keeping a close eye on my neighbor. He's kind of scary and he smells funny.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Shannon
Hmmm...actually damselflies are quite beautiful as they are very similar to dragonflies, my favorite insect. They do do a wonderful job of ridding the world of the less desirables so please save the life or lives of however many you end up finding.

Of course, in Florida, since the mosquitoes there are the size of small dogs! I have to wonder about the damselflies! They have to sound like helicopters buzzing around!

I kill everything that even remotely scares me regardless of what or whom it may be. Right now I'm keeping a close eye on my neighbor. He's kind of scary and he smells funny.

What's scarier? Finding damselfly larvae in your tank or having Mac for a neighbor?!? :eek: Just kidding, Mac...:lol:

Still, I'd love to have a conversation with that neighbor...:rofl:

callina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Tina
these little creatures are very interesting and I would observe them, too. :D

Right now I'm keeping a close eye on my neighbor. He's kind of scary and he smells funny.

maybe he´s an alien? :ufo: But, please don´t kill him - he could be harmless. :rofl:

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
I reckon Macs neighbour may also be on a forum somewhere mentioning getting rid of his neighbour......lol

Mel

deliriah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mac, he probably doesn't have much longer to go, I would let him live out the rest of his "scary, funny smelling" life.:p
As for the damselfly larvae, I had one for a while in a pond tank I kept. They are quite interesting and I kinda got attached to it. But I ended up releasing it in a nearby pond, because I wasn't sure it would fare well as an adult in my apartment!:D

callina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Tina
Nah... he's like 90. I'm pretty sure I can take him.
oh, .... have you never heard of a shapeshifter? :eek: Be careful, Mac......maybe he is an extraterrestrial transformer. ;)

@deliriah: I can understand you - I like damselflies, too and I´m quite happy having a pond in my garden where they can live and proliferate.

deliriah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Callina, they really are beautiful in both the larval and especially adult forms.

benh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

vampybabe

Reaction score
Country
England
OOOOH...... I had the same thing a little while ago,Found it darting along the sand I took it out to monitor in a glass of tank water, but it died :( but now I have loads of tiny little worm like things along the edges of the water. I keep turkey bastering them out and I think my axies are munching on them too but they wont go, every day more of them! Only just gotthe tank cycled so aint starting over again :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SunnyAxies:
    I have a question, I’m looking into getting one or two Axolotls and I don’t know if I should just get one or get two. Planning to get them as eggs.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    @SunnyAxies, It honestly depends on how much space you have. Two axolotls in the same aquarium would need a minimum of 30 gallons. (at an adult size) If you end up with opposite genders, you would need two 20 gal tanks. Males and females can't be kept together since they will breed and overbreeding the female is harmful to her body. Another factor would be if you think both eggs would survive. Sometimes axolotls hatch with defects and either die or should be euthanized to prevent them from living an uncomfortable and/or stunted life. It's sad, but it's for the good of the animal.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hi guys I need help relatively fast
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    I made a huge error, I’m about to cry because I don’t know why I was so stupid. I decided to clean the sponge and other stuff in my filter while I left the filter running. (I took out the parts in the filter to swish around in dirty tank water). Bc I left the filter running, all the gross stuff at the bottom of the filter filled into my axolotl tank. My tank is like brown now. I was trying to unclog something in my filter cuz it wasn’t running right and idk why I left it on I literally don’t know. I tried to take a bunch of water out snd replace it with fresh water but it’s STILL brown.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    also my filter is like not running right. It’s not a consistent flow it’s more like little droplets of water. :( I’m so confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Is the stuff in my tank gonna harm my lotl? Should I just let the filter clear it up? I’m confused
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Seems to be clearing up slightly with the filter running. Axie is okay also no signs of distress or anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • MorganeW:
    Hello! New caretaker of a paddletail who is supposedly 24, and seems to have been poorly cared for. Supposedly was fed earthworms or redworms, but every time I've pet-sat for her, she just chomped at the worm once or twice and left it, to be removed a day or two later. Now I have a bigger, clean tank and have been trying mainly frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, thawed with spring water and fed with a dropper. She ignores bloodworms, goes for the brine shrimp eagerly, but seems to spit a lot out, and ignore most. I'm not sure I can make myself chop up worms (😳) but I want to help her. She also regurgitated an inch-long, seemingly stiff, straight, dried up bloodworm! I don't even know where that came from!!! All help appreciated. Thank you.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alyssamuniz06:
    Hello anyone that can help! I’m a breeder and was wondering how to make pellets as well as salmon pellets! I’ve seen some recipes around but they contain crickets which I thought were no good for axolotls because of the chitin. The amount taht I have devours 2 pounds of pellets in a week 😂 so any help would be great. There was another lin las well for two other pellets but I’m not sure if it lets me open it because I am in the Us?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Gis has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Camnp97:
    @MorganeW, Where are you located with that paddletail?
    +1
    Unlike
  • BluFreya:
    Hi guys,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Hey guys.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m looking for another fire Sal. Any available at the moment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I also want to get a Kaiser newt! 👏🏽
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kstimson97:
    I have had an axolotl hatch from its egg it's Friday today and they were only laid on Saturday this little lotl has appeared to lose its egg sack and is swimming in like a circle every now and then is this normal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Super rare but I was looking for an Iranian Kaiser newt. If anyone has any info please send me a PM
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kcee2021:
    I have a question if anyone can help....is it normal for a juvenile tiger salamander to change colors?
    +1
    Unlike
    Kcee2021: I have a question if anyone can help....is it normal for a juvenile tiger salamander to change... +1