Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Helps identify my Chinese newts

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you post in the advance section, you must wait for a moderator to approve your post. Since we are hard-working volunteers, sometimes this may take longer than other times. There are only a small handful of us.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They still look like very light coloured H. orientals, Like Henry janssen said, they can be influenced by their environment, I think they would get darker on a dark substrate?
The thing is, without knowing exactly where they were collected you will never be 100% certain what they are, it will always be based on somebody's opinion?

mortenson

Reaction score
I do not think the light color of my H. orientalis is due to the influence of the environment where I have staying. I leave a photograph of them with other H. orientalis typical black and this black never changes color. I am very intrigued with my newts. uploadfromtaptalk1395526491598.jpg

enviado desde mi dispositivo usando patatalk

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not all H. orientalis seem to be able to change that dramatically. As frogEyes said, its only the odd one in a batch of hundreds. Imagine that both animals in your last picture were the same colour, you would swear they were both orientalis, but with no collection data that's just another opinion. If frogEyes can't identify them, they will probably remain a mystery.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you mixing them with typical H.orientalis? I highly recommend that you don´t! The odd coloured ones are probably H.orientalis too, sure, but they are distinctive enough that it would be a very good idea to keep them isolated from other bloodlines. If you allow them to mix, either you, or the people you distribute the offspring to will eventually loose track.

mortenson

Reaction score
noouploadfromtaptalk1395594752430.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395594770468.jpgo, I'm not the typical mixing with black. copy of the photo is not mine. is paid to take the picture and say that the copy provided does not change color with respect to the decoration of the aquarium. I will have in mind the lineage when newts have to give to others. which do not tarry in because I have already started births.

enviado desde mi dispositivo usando patatalk

cuorajon

Reaction score
Hi I have a small breeding group of these exact newts the red spots infront of the eyes is a dead give away.. They are closely related to orientialis but as suspected they are different species or subspecies.. My friend Yunke Wu looked at mine cause no one could id them and he agrees with my thoughts we were gonna do the dna testing but my life hasnt allowed me to thus far...but their cranial shape is slightly different and their skin texture and their ampuli lines are more pronounced and their tail shape is different than orientialis. ..they come in with groups of orientialis but you can see the difference rite away...so as far as i know they are different and still not identified

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1