Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi

omri

Reaction score
Hello everybody!!!!!
I have 15 paddle tail and i want to breed them.
How can I know male/female?
can I breed more then couple together?

Attachments

• DSCF6628.jpg
    DSCF6628.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 852
  • DSCF6658.jpg
    DSCF6658.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF6685.jpg
    DSCF6685.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCF6663.jpg
    DSCF6663.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 774
  • DSCF6671.jpg
    DSCF6671.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCF6633.jpg
    DSCF6633.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 774

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You have more than paddletails, there is a chinese firebelly (Hypselotriton orientalis) in there too. Very bad mix, to tell you the truth. Hypselotriton are very non-agressive newts while paddletails can be extremely territorial and deadly agressive. If something goes wrong, the chinese firebelly may be injured or killed.
Are all the 15 newts in the same tank?
They look smallish to me, and perhaps they are juveniles, but still, sooner or later, among 15 paddletails, there is going to be trouble. It´s sometimes impossible to keep two together, let alone hope for 15 to share space.

As for sexing, the male´s cloaca while engorge during the breeding season after a cold period, blue spots will appear in the tail, too.

omri

Reaction score
First thank you for your response.
The pic with the chinese firebelly old,and now i have only paddle tail.
I have upload a pic of the tank,you think that it small for 15 ?
about the breeding,I need 4c temperature,can i use a container and put it in a refrigerator for a cold period.
I am really want the breed this species and i thank you for your help.

Attachments

• DSCF6686.jpg
    DSCF6686.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF6688.jpg
    DSCF6688.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 428

Yahilles

Reaction score
How long do you have them? Do they stay that small, or you acquired them recently?
The tank is definetely overcrowded, when they get agressive (and your animals look like juveniles, so they probably are yet to start acting so) there will be a bloodbath in your tank. The aquarium looks like it's 80cm long or so, not that big then. Especially for 15 newts...

To breed them you don't need just to put them in 4'C for a while, they need constant low temps below 15 also DURING the breeding period. Not to mention that they require water movement and a suitable spot for the female to make a nest.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don´t mean to be cruel, but that tank is a disaster in several ways....
Way too small for 15 paddletails, no strong current, barely a hiding place, waaaaaaaay too much substrate (and a bad choice of substrate too)...That´s simply not going to work.

I honestly don´t know what to recommend....the way i see it you´ve put yourself in a very complicated situation that has no easy solution. I would separate the paddletails in smaller groups, but that can mean having 5 different containers, which probably shouldn´t be smaller than 60l each. You also need to have at the very least one decent hiding place per animal, plenty of visual barriers and a good, strong current.
The substrate is a hazard as it can be swallowed and it also looks like it´s a bit sharp. Fine sand would be a much better choice, or even better (for feeding and cleaning purposes) no substrate. Also, the substrate should be no deeper than an inch. The way you have it it´s going to cause serious trouble sooner or later as the deeper areas become anoxic and anaerobic bacteria start to flourish.

I´m sorry to be so negative, but you really need to change things.

This is probably not what you want to hear but your chances of ever breeding them are almost non-existent. Very, very few people ever succeed in getting females to lay eggs, and of those people, no more than a handful wordlwide succeed in hatching them and rearing the larvae. No one i know has ever succeeded in raising them to adulthood.
It´s a very difficult species to breed, even more so to raise succesfully. With your current situation, you can forget about it, they won´t breed.

Last edited:

omri

Reaction score
You are not cruel just help me and I thank you for that,I am going to read everything you write and make it better and upload pic that you can check it.
Thank you so much for your help.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s refreshing to see someone taking criticism so well. You are doing the right thing by trying to learn more about them and seeking advice. Good luck!

Make sure to check this caresheet:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml
You will find most information under the name Pachytriton labiatus, although that´s now an incorrect name. Your animals are probably Pachytriton granulosus, if FrogEyes drops by he may be able to give you a more definite ID.

By the way, so that not everything is so negative :D, the belly on one of the newts in picture 4 is absolutely stunning!

omri

Reaction score
I am already take out 5 newts and I left "only" 10,I search for hiding places and fitting plants,if you have link to picture that show the that it Should be I appreciate it.
thank you.

AngieD

Reaction score
You can improvise hiding places using plant pots on their side. Make sure there is at least 1 hiding place per newt

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you completely understand the situation. This species is extremely aggressive to their own kind. If you keep more than a few (like, less than 5) in a tank that size, they will end up killing each other.

kay

Reaction score
I have to agree with Kaysie. I have had experience with 3 in a fairly large tank and it didn't go very well... you should really consider the amount of animals to keep.

omri

Reaction score
For kaysie with love...

Attachments

• DSCF6690.jpg
    DSCF6690.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCF6693.jpg
    DSCF6693.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCF6697.jpg
    DSCF6697.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCF6707.JPG
    DSCF6707.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF6710.JPG
    DSCF6710.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCF6711.JPG
    DSCF6711.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF6750.jpg
    DSCF6750.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCF6753.JPG
    DSCF6753.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 356
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!