Hoping for eggs for Christmas

D

david

I tried out some of my Cristatus without hibernation and they seem to be doing well.
9925.jpg

9926.jpg

(Message edited by dln on December 22, 2003)

No Christmas eggs yet, but some of my fire sal larvae are morphing. Neat little brats.

By Jove, the cristatus have started. Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas
9992.jpg

Nice pictures Nash.
Seems like you have an entire zoo there :D

Good luck with your Xmas-eggs

are you going to breed your marmoratus Dave?I noticed on a previous post, you had no mates for them boys.

just wondering as I'd love to share your offspring.

cataldo

I hope to. The male in the picture's currently in with 2 cristatus females. I have 2 tanks set up that way (hoping for triturus blassi offspring). And I have 3 female marms, (2 look good and 1 iffy) with 2 male marms (just entered the water) in a couple of seperate tanks. Hopefully they do well too. After the cristatus get done, I have to clear out that tank for triturus montodoni. If all goes well great, it's a busy season. The 2 male marms in the blassi tanks might have to pull double duty if the 2 other males don't fully crest, so hopefully they're manly newts.

I've got eggs starting in the blassi tank too. Hopefully they're fertile. I should start seeing signs of egg developement by New Years

That's great David!
keep us updated!;-)

bye
Leo

PS
I think it's Triturus blasii, not T.blassi ;-)

Hi David!
That marmoratus on the picture above looks like a triturus pygmaeus(triturus marmoratus pygmaeus or whatever...)
I say this due to the bright belly, low crest and bulky bodyshape. How big is it? Do you have locality data? I am not sure just wondering..

/Jesper

Hi Jesper, I've got 4 males about 4 and a half to 5 inches long and they are bulky. They also have a much lower crest then my cristatus this season or my vittatus last year. The 2 female marms I'm breeding them with are about 4 inches long and just as bulky.

Well the marmoratus pygmaeus and marmoratus marmoratus subspecies(or species??) are a mess it seems...

Once again this issue confuses me, it is something between p and m in size, bodyshape of p, tailcrest of m, crest of p....
Sergé knows more..
Btw do you have belly photos?

Fine looking newts!
/Jesper

Judging from the descriptions of the belly being lighter on the pygmaeus, these are pygmaeus. Judging from the size of pygmaeus seldom exceeding 11 centimeters, there being 4 newts at 13 centimeters, they must be marmortus or genetically altered jumbo pygmaeus. Do the 2 species cross breed or has there been any nuclear accidents reported in Europe lately?

Hi Dave!
Well dont say species loud! Most people here think they are subspecies of marmoratus!
biggrin.gif

I would say it is a big pygmaeus with some marmoratus blood in it
biggrin.gif
.I would say you got a crossbreed there although it looks much more like pygmaeus! The belly is so pygmaeus, I have never seen it that easily before, it matches everything!! Pinkish with a lot of white spots and only a few black ones. Very cool!

You should talk to Sergé Bogaerts, he seems to know a lot about pygmaeus.

Cheers
/Jesper

A quick update. The attempt to breed triturus blassi failed. The eggs weren't fertile, possibly because my marms are pygmaeus. Aside from that, my male marm seems pleased with the attempt.
10946.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back