Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much should I feed my 15cm axolotle?

acrpz

Reaction score
It is the first time I have one of those amazing creatures, and because I didn’t know a lot about it, I still have a lot of doubts about it. I’ve him for about a month now and he’s around 15cm long. I usually feed him with bloodworms sometimes, some frozen food that contains shrimp, fish, other already prepared things (it says it it food for Axolotls) and I also bought some pellets. I usually feed him every day, but I noticed that he is not eating as much as he used to. How often should I feed him? And how much? I think he’s healthy, but I’m not sure too. Any wise comments? Suggestions? Advices? Thank you! ☺️

Attachments

• 44BAE172-470F-4CCB-B96A-52901409222F.jpeg
    44BAE172-470F-4CCB-B96A-52901409222F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 224
  • 8D383B02-C8A2-4072-9ED9-E72B5E49F8D8.jpeg
    8D383B02-C8A2-4072-9ED9-E72B5E49F8D8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 115
  • 892D63C5-55DF-49F8-BF33-DF92C7CEDAB6.jpeg
    892D63C5-55DF-49F8-BF33-DF92C7CEDAB6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
I just had the same problem two weeks ago and this is what i did.

I started to feed Alejandro(my axie) who is about 13cm long nightcrawlers, blood worms and pellets in a certain order:
Day 1 Night crawler
Day 2
Day 3 bloodworms & pellets
Day 4
Day 5 pellets OR night crawler
Day 6
Day 7 blood worms

The pellets i feed are extremely small so when i feed them alone i give about 10 and when i feed them and the blood worms together i give 3-5. On the days i don't feed him I try to see if he has his head down (he's looking for food) and if so i'll place pellets around his tank so that h can find them on his own as enrichment. I hope this helps.

acrpz

Reaction score
I just had the same problem two weeks ago and this is what i did.

I started to feed Alejandro(my axie) who is about 13cm long nightcrawlers, blood worms and pellets in a certain order:
Day 1 Night crawler
Day 2
Day 3 bloodworms & pellets
Day 4
Day 5 pellets OR night crawler
Day 6
Day 7 blood worms

The pellets i feed are extremely small so when i feed them alone i give about 10 and when i feed them and the blood worms together i give 3-5. On the days i don't feed him I try to see if he has his head down (he's looking for food) and if so i'll place pellets around his tank so that h can find them on his own as enrichment. I hope this helps.
Oh this really helps! Thank you very much :) I will try this and see if it works with Oppa.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1