How often does a Chinese fire belly leave the water

R

russell

My kids wanted a Chinese firebelly they saw at the pet store. Since the fish person at the store said that they were "just like fish" as far as care, I said okay. Doing my homework (after the fact, I know) I have learned about needing to provide a place for the newt to leave the water and the feeding needs. My question is how often and how long does the aquatic newt leave the water? I am concerned about escapes.....

Thanks!

it really depends on the newt. some like land more than others. also, if the water quality is poor, or the temp is too high, they might avoid the water. i've had newts that never left the water, and i've had ones that barely ever go in the water. currently, my only newt swims all day, and sleeps on a frozen water bottle all night.

your best option is to get a ten gal tank with nice floating island, and a snug-fitting screen top. floating islands are great b/c they provide land without taking up space in the water like rock piles do. i use floating pieces of wood or plastic islands for land, but you can use anything that floats and isnt toxic, even an empty plastic bottle. screen tops are about $5-10 for a ten gal tank by me, and they increase ventilation in the tank which helps keep the newts cool. lights and hoods arent necessary, and they heat the tank (which isnt good). even if your newt prefers water, there is still a good chance that he/she will want to wander out at some point, and if they can walk out of the tank, they just might. you definitely want to make it impossible for your newt to just climb over the side of the tank.

and as far as them being just like fish- i definitely wouldnt say they're any more or less work than fish are, just completely different ;)

If the newt is currently aquatic, it will rarely need to leave the water. A small island is sufficient.

You should be concerned about escape, as this is common, especially for new firebellies. If the newt is now in your fish tank, move it immediately to a critter keeper or even a plastic shoebox with small holes and a tight-fitting lid. Then set up a suitable tank for it.

If you haven't already, see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

Thanks for the info! I really feel like I got started on the wrong foot, but so far so good. I have lowered the water level in the fish tank and added a small tin-foil ledge which "drapes" into the water. I have sealed the tank with tape to keep the newt in. Day 1: all is well. I haven't seen the newt leave the water. When can I expect to see him out? While he sleeps?

Sometimes they come out at night. Sometimes they completely live in water and only come out if they are sick or stressed. What is the temperature in the fish tank?

Right now my tank is at just under 78 F. I am not really concerned, just trying to figure out what to expect. The newt has only been in the tank since Sunday. He spends most of his time (while I am home that is) under the plants. But I have seen him other spots on the bottom. I do have a feeding question. They sold me this newt food which is dry little balls. How much and how often do I feed this little guy? He is about 2 inches from head to tip of tail.

Thanks!

Jennifer, Thanks for the links. I did read them. I am working out how to feed the newt while in the aquarium. I am thinking about putting the food on the floating island, but will the newt find the food there? I really don't have much of an idea about what I am doing. I am beginning to think that keeping the newt in the 3 gallon tank separate from the fish would be a good idea. Especially with the water temperature issue. Can I put a plastic cap with blood worms on the island for the newt - or just put them in the water? I haven't actually seen him eat yet....

Russell, I'd say move the newt to the 3-gallon, both because of the temperature issue and the feeding issue. If the newt isn't using the island, it will not find the bloodworms there. If you put the bloodworms in the water, I'll bet the fish eat them before the newt has a chance.

Try holding the bloodworms in front of the newt's face with a tweezers. They are sometimes rather slow and inept at finding their food at first.

If the newt does OK, think about getting him his own 10-gallon tank with screen lid (pretty cheap). As you know from keeping fish, it's hard to maintain water quality in a very small tank.

Good luck!

The 10 gallon tank seems to be keeping cooler than the 3 gallon. I put the goldfish and the newt in on Thursday. They seem to be doing fine. The newt found his island and spend some time up there, but mostly seems to be hanging around the roots of the plant. I put some food pellets on the island for him, and it seems that he ate - but it could be my imagination. So far so good.

My kids asked if they can hold the newt. Is a small amount of handling okay? Or should I just say no?

I doubt that he ate the pellets on the island. I won't say it's impossible, but it is unlikely. Try some frozen/thawed bloodworms or chopped earthworm offered on a toothpick or tweezers.

I would say no to handling. Newts are like fish in that regard.

were can i get the newts pellets from in england and are they any good for them and what are they called

Hey Carl,

I can't vouch for the pellets. I don't see much that indicates my newt is eating. I am now trying rainbow mealworms, cut up since my newt is small. I am a little worried since my newt hasn't gone into the water much...

Russell,

This was probably covered in the links Jenn gave you, but the newt will probably be happier by him/herself than with goldfish. If you have a light on the 3-gallon tank, that may be adding to the heat of the tank, and unless you're going in for lots of live plants, it isn't necessary. Also, an external pump won't add heat to the tank like a submersible will.

My newt likes to eat thawed frozen bloodworms, live blackworms and very small live earthworms; I feed her from a medicine dropper that I suck the bloodworms or blackworms up into, then slowly squirt them out where she can see them. The earthworms I just dangle in front of her until she attacks....lol. Of course, I only feed her a couple of times a week.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jan,

I have had some success with the mealworms. I cut them into quarters and hold a bite in front of the newt. He usually takes the first bite, but won't touch the others. I leave them in a pile on his island, and I think he is eating them since they are gone the next morning. My real concern is that he doesn't seem to go in the water and I know that is how they drink. I say "seem" because his body is moist on the couple of times I checked him. Is there anyway to "encourage" him back into the water? The kids really have more fun watching him swim.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back