Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to make a lid for an outdoor tub

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've built a few lids for outdoor tubs and thought I'd share the build process for my favourite design. Before you embark on a project like this you should know that it's a fiddly task that may take a few hours and will certainly require power tools.

For me a lid requires the following qualities:

- Strong and durable
- Easy to remove and replace
- Be completely weather proof
- Allow rainfall in
- Escape and predator proof
- Allow light through for plant growth
- Well ventilated

I experimented with a few designs before settling on a metal frame with mesh that fitted tightly on top of the tub. Using metal provided rigidity and strength, something that can be lacking in many plastic lids. The mesh I use is the smallest gauge I could buy at the garden centre with 6mm holes. This prevents even small newts such as alpine newts from escaping. Where I have used these lids for even smaller newts i.e juveniles, I've simply modified the mesh area by attaching a very fine plastic mesh underneath.

Here's what you'll need:

- Aluminium L profile strips cut with angled ends to the dimensions of your tub
- 4 x large corner brackets to fix the L profile together.
- Enough nuts and bolts to hold it all together (in this design that's 16)
- Some metal mesh

Below: - L profile aluminium cut to size, right angle brackets and nuts and bolts. Cutting the L profile is easiest with a power tool although I suppose you could tackle it with a metal hacksaw. I used a set square to draw the angles and an angle grinder to make the cut.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21687-lid1.jpg

Here's how those components are going to fit together. It's a good idea to lay your pieces out like this so you can make sure it all fits before proceeding.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21688-lid2.jpg

Here's the mesh I'm using.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21689-lid3.jpg

When you're happy everything fits mark out the holes for the bolts and drill them using an appropriate sized drill bit.

Then, using the right angle brackets bolt together the frame pieces like so. Again, it's a good idea to put your frame together before inserting the mesh. That way you can make sure all your angles and joints work.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21690-lid4.jpg

Now you can cut your mesh to size. It needs to fit well inside the frame but allow a little room for adjustments. The right angle brackets sandwich the mesh to the frame and keep it in place like so.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21691-lid5.jpg

Once you've finished bolting all the brackets in place you should have something that looks like this.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21692-lid6.jpg

The only thing left to do is grind off the excess bolt ends which are sticking out of the top of the lid.

Here's one indoors used as a breeding tub for N.kaiseri.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21693-lid8.jpg

And a couple outdoors containing alpine and ribbed newts.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture21694-lid9.jpg

The 90 litre black tubs are made from food grade rubber and are frost and UV resistant. Combined with the lid they make ideal outdoor pond style setups. I drill drainage holes below the lid to prevent the water level reaching the top.

If you have any questions just ask!

Last edited:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Nice Build! If you live in an area where standing water with insect access is against the law, you can use custom build window screen kits from your DIY store to comply with the law and remove any chance of mosquito intrusion.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mosquito larvae don't last too long in a tub full of newts!

Seriously though, if you're using something other than metal mesh i.e plastic screen, you may need some additional anchor points along the frame to stop the mesh sagging in the middle.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those are some very professional lids. Nice job.
I have a couple of aluminium framed lids too, but they are pathetic looking things made with the most rudimentary tools xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!