Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to make screen lid

kittski

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a screen lid for my tank but it has a bowed front and I'm not sure what kind of framing would work. There's a hinged glass lid that needs to stay in place so the screen lid will only go half-way back. (Hope that makes sense.) Any suggestions/tips?

Here's a pick of what I'm working with.
Alicia

Attachments

• tank lid.jpg
    tank lid.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 699

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a really difficult problem, due to the curved side. There are 3 basic methods I use for this. (1) Make a frame out of wood. It would need to have groove on the underside that fits securely over the tank rim. But making a curved piece of wood with a perfectly curved groove is something that only a very talented woodworker could get right. (2) Get "Industrial Strength" velcro of the adhesive kind, and sew-on velcro of the non-adhesive kind. Put the "soft" side of the adhesive velcro on the tank rim. Sew the "rough" side onto the screen material. I have done this, and it works very nicely... but... the cost of the velcro is much greater than if you simply... (3) Buy a screen lid.

For this type of tank, option 1 required difficult woodworking, option 2 requires difficult sewing, and option 3 may be a product that does not exist (I've never seen any screen lids sold for bowfront tanks).

As an alternative, does the glass lid have any cut-out areas that would allow you to put a tiny fan over the tank? I'm thinking of these little computer-type fans that they sell now for installation over aquariums.

kittski

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My options are obviously pretty limited but at least I don't feel so dumb not being able to come up with a solution! I spent an hour scouring Home Depot looking for some kind of molding to use but found nothing. The velcro sounds like I really good idea though and I'll probably go with that.

The tank has one computer fan at the back but it doesn't hit the water directly. I want to add another set of fans up front and thought a screen would be easier than trying to cut the glass :)

Thanks a bunch,
Alicia

For this type of tank, option 1 required difficult woodworking, option 2 requires difficult sewing, and option 3 may be a product that does not exist (I've never seen any screen lids sold for bowfront tanks).

As an alternative, does the glass lid have any cut-out areas that would allow you to put a tiny fan over the tank? I'm thinking of these little computer-type fans that they sell now for installation over aquariums.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My only thought was maybe sew a wide band of elastic around the edge of the fabric ( think hair net!) and use it to cover the whole tank.

caudataman

Reaction score
Not super easy, but can be done. Here's what I'd do...

1. Take the glass piece that sits open in you photo off of its hinge.

2. go to Home Depot, Leows, or any hardware store that offers lexan sheets in a similar thickness.

3. cut a sheet of Lexan to match glass piece with a coping saw and a fine blade or a dremel or rotary cutter

4. cut out an inner area to be screened in with similar tools

5. affix screen with glue, silicone, or some other method.

6. replace glass piece with new lexan screen section.

to lock the lid, small clamps can be placed on the tank rim that will prevent the new section from being raised. Let us know how you make out...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1