Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to seal off 'water area' from area under false floor

Bill B

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am transferring my Western Chorus Frogs (Pseudacris triseriata) from a smaller vivarium to a larger one. Take a look at my photo. I have a false floor, and at first I did not think I needed to seal off the water area the frogs would use. But after I took the coco husk fiber with moss from the old vivarium (I am trying to use the mosses in the new vivarium) I realized a lot of particles of coco husk fell through, and tannic acids were likely in the water. I don't think I really want the frogs in that water.

How can I seal off the place for water (on the right side of the vivarium in the photo)? Some sort of plastic liner with silicone sealant, or what?

Bill

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you would need to use a glass divider instead of the plastic one you have now, then just use aquarium sealant to bond it in place. I don't know of any way to seal a plastic divider, silicone will just peel after a while.

Bill B

Reaction score
I think you would need to use a glass divider instead of the plastic one you have now, then just use aquarium sealant to bond it in place. I don't know of any way to seal a plastic divider, silicone will just peel after a while.

What kind of glass divider? Could I get one from an aquarium shop?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you need to work out what size piece you need, then get a glass supplier to cut it to size for you if you can't cut it yourself. It shouldn't cost much for a small piece like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!