How to seal off 'water area' from area under false floor

Bill B

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
amphibianizer
Hi All,

I am transferring my Western Chorus Frogs (Pseudacris triseriata) from a smaller vivarium to a larger one. Take a look at my photo. I have a false floor, and at first I did not think I needed to seal off the water area the frogs would use. But after I took the coco husk fiber with moss from the old vivarium (I am trying to use the mosses in the new vivarium) I realized a lot of particles of coco husk fell through, and tannic acids were likely in the water. I don't think I really want the frogs in that water.

How can I seal off the place for water (on the right side of the vivarium in the photo)? Some sort of plastic liner with silicone sealant, or what?

Bill

I think you would need to use a glass divider instead of the plastic one you have now, then just use aquarium sealant to bond it in place. I don't know of any way to seal a plastic divider, silicone will just peel after a while.

I think you would need to use a glass divider instead of the plastic one you have now, then just use aquarium sealant to bond it in place. I don't know of any way to seal a plastic divider, silicone will just peel after a while.

What kind of glass divider? Could I get one from an aquarium shop?

No, you need to work out what size piece you need, then get a glass supplier to cut it to size for you if you can't cut it yourself. It shouldn't cost much for a small piece like that.

So the silicone will not at here to the screen?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back