How to slow baby axolotl growth rate.

tinroofbarn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I raise axolotls but have a hard time selling them fast enough. Usually only able to move 1-3 per week. My last batch had over 50 healthy babies! Does anyone know if I can refrigerate the eggs and then just move a dozen a month or so into an aquarium to finish the development? Or, could I let them all develop until they’re an inch or two long and then refrigerate them and just move the juveniles into a tank to grow them bigger as I have need for them? I’m curious if something like this would solve my problem and allow me to perhaps just breed my pair once a year and not be overcrowded with lots of babies all at the same time. Any ideas or suggestions on how to slow the growth rate (and spread them out) would be appreciated. Thank you!

I would read this: Fridging eggs?
Basically you can in the refrigerator, but make sure the temp is between 5 - 10 degrees celcius.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back