Question: How Toxic is a JFBN?

There are two articles about newt toxins on caudata culture:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin2.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin.shtml

JFBN are reasonably toxic. One of the above articles tries to quantify it based on the number of mice that could be killed by the toxins found in each species. Cynops pyrrhogaster is rated somewhere below 2,500 mice. It's a bit vague.

Always use common sense - if you have to handle any newt, wash your hands afterwards.

as above. in those cases where u really must handle your amphibian don't let it get anywhere near any cut or grazes or your mouth or eyes. and wash your hands afterwards.

It could. But your tank should be secure enough to keep your cat out and your newt in.

My parents are worried just in case it escapes somehow or something. That would pretty much be impossible with the tank it would be in. They decided I had to get one that isn't poisonous.

I've rubbed my eye (not thinking) after handling an escaped JFBN and within about a minute had an intense burning sensation. The best thing I could compare it to would be jalapeno pepper juice. As was said above, use caution and keep the cat and newt separated at all times. A lot of tank lids have extra security like latches to prevent escape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back