Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

If proof be needed..

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That captive breeding is best!

Cynops pyrrhogaster bred by Jesper Danielsson
IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Pleurodeles waltl bred by myself
IMG_1413.jpg

M. a. apuanus bred by Alan Cann
IMG_1476.jpg

Triturus marmoratus bred by myself.
IMG_1532.jpg

I can feel a diet coming on....:D
IMG_1524.jpg

Neurergus strauchii bred by Jennifer Macke.
IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Calotriton asper bred by Günter Schultschik.
IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

Neurergus kaiseri bred by Alan Cann.
IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They all look so fantastic! I really can't wait until I can get breeding adults and add to the captive bred population here on the U.S. west coast. Please please please keep pics like these coming. I think they will influence others that captive bred animals are truly the way to go.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Wow very nice, my compliments to all those great breeders (you included Mark). Now if only there could be some captive bred Necturus...

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Great pics and fantastic animals...my favourite (just by sight...) is N. strauchii but all of them look gorgeous! Keep this pics coming, Mark! :)

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Brilliant pics. it is wonderful to see these species as captive bred animals....perhaps there is hope for Neurergus...

Chris

tomthlee

Reaction score
Captive breeding/rearing is definitely the best and is great for the hobby. I personally don't have the time or skills to do so, so I appreciate the efforts of those putting the time in to create these lovely critters.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wonderful photos, Mark. This is a beautiful promotion of captive breeding:D

Although my photographic abilities don't match yours, I'll throw in another piece of "proof". These were bred by Audrey:

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It seems this has been a really stellar year for captive breeding - members of the forum have bred T. gran's, Paramesotriton laoensis, Pachytriton labiatus, and I think there may have been even more - what am I missing? Way to go for those who have put forth the effort to breed and raise these animals!
Heather

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s great to see traditional pet shop species (cynops, taricha, paramesotriton, patchytriton, etc) being bred in captivity. After all they are often the reason we get into this hobby in the first place… but sadly bred infrequently.

One more; Tylototriton kweichowensis bred by Andy Baker (not mine, I’m newtsitting).
IMG_1537.jpg

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very old thread I know, but I thought I'd resurrect it.
This F3 pyrrho is the biggest male I've ever seen and is just getting his first breeding colours this winter. He's the only one I kept from his year because I injured his foot with the cover glass and felt sorry for him, glad I did now! :)
Does anyone else have any captive bred favourites?

Attachments

• SAM_1312.jpg
    SAM_1312.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 440
  • SAM_1334.jpg
    SAM_1334.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 383
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1