Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm Back - With a Big Project!

Anthony370

Reaction score
After all my newts died I got into fish. Which have gotten boring. Already.

So, the other day I pickedp a 40 breeder intending on getting a snake. Then I started getting ideas. What if I I finally built a true, decent sized vivarium?

So yesterday I went and picked up about 50lbs of gravel and lace rock - and a nice pump with hoses and fittings for a waterfall. I'm going to make about a 50/50 land and water setup, with the pond against the front of the tank so I can see in it.

Here are my questions.

1. I want some sort of vine to curtain the back wall - which will have rocks sort of like a cliff face. What should I use?

2. Other than moss, are there any good above water plants?

3. How do I hide my water heater?

Thanks!

When I get home from work tomorrow afternoon I'll start putting in my rocks and building the waterfall. Then build pics!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Newts can live in captivity for 20 years or more so the first question I'd ask is why did your first newts die? No point repeating mistakes, right? The second question is what species are you building the enclosure for? Newts don't need a heater unless you want to protect them from freezing temperatures.

The articles on caudata culture cover all of the basics and the species specific care sheets give you housing and temperature requirements.

Anthony370

Reaction score
Newts can live in captivity for 20 years or more so the first question I'd ask is why did your first newts die? No point repeating mistakes, right? The second question is what species are you building the enclosure for? Newts don't need a heater unless you want to protect them from freezing temperatures.

The articles on caudata culture cover all of the basics and the species specific care sheets give you housing and temperature requirements.

They were wild caught newts and died of limb rot - despite my extreme efforts to save them.

I'm not QUITE sure what species I'm going for yet - going to have to do some more reading.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not QUITE sure what species I'm going for yet - going to have to do some more reading.

It's always best to design the enclosure around the species requirements. Some newts do well in 100% aquatic setups, others like a haul out land area and many salamander species require a 100% terrestrial enclosure. Best to see what's available in your area, preferably captive bred to avoid the issues you experienced with previous wild caught animals, and then design the setup with that species in mind.

Anthony370

Reaction score
It's always best to design the enclosure around the species requirements. Some newts do well in 100% aquatic setups, others like a haul out land area and many salamander species require a 100% terrestrial enclosure. Best to see what's available in your area, preferably captive bred to avoid the issues you experienced with previous wild caught animals, and then design the setup with that species in mind.

I have taken that advice and I am modifying the tank accordingly, for a primarily land setup. The water feature is now just more for aesthetics and to maintain humidity.

Still researching specific types of salamanders and newts. Right now the Eastern Newt is a lead contender.

How do I even find a local breeder? I have no idea where to look.

One of the ways I modified the tank was a big piece of wood - which is, of course, easily removable. Since I'm reading about how these newts go through stages of aquatic, terrestrial, then aquatic again, I'm keeping it easy to modify.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not start with a less demanding species like P. waltl or an Axolotl? Both are readily available as captive bred youngsters and their needs are easily met with a simple aquatic set up. Eastern newts are notoriously difficult to keep alive in captivity long term and even highly experienced keepers sometimes struggle with them.
As far as land based species go, I think if you find fish boring you would soon lose interest in terrestrial salamanders, there are long periods when they are out of site or just doing absolutely nothing at all, at least aquatic species are usually visible and move about a bit from time to time!

GoGoGadget

Reaction score
If you want something that uses land/water more equally, you might try Eurycea cirrigera, though finding CB may be difficult.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!