Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Insanely Large Batch of Eggs

frogman

Reaction score
Well, a biology teacher at my school asked if I could bring in some eggs for a genetics project they were doing in school. She thought it would be cool if the kids could watch them develop. So I told her they hadn't laid in a while and it was unlikely but I would try. So I went home and did my secret system that had worked 100% of the time in the breeding season. Meaning that every time I did it they would lay eggs 5-24 hours later. So the next afternoon I saw here starting to lay eggs. I left her until this morning to finish. This morning I saw it was a very big clutch so I decided to pull them all out and count. I counted into groups of 100 and separated them into deli cups. When I was done counting I had about 900 (dont remember the exact number). So I thought I would go back to the tank and see if I could pull out a few more. I ended up pulling out another 127. So in conclusion the batch had exactly 1,027 eggs. The most I have ever had or heard of. Even caudata culture said they lay 100-1000 eggs. Thought I would share this. Enjoy topping this for all those competitive people out there :p.

Evan

sde

Reaction score
Are you sure it was all from one female? Over the night another female could have laid as well ( do you have two females? ).
I bet you had a lot of fun counting all those eggs :rolleyes:

So in conclusion the batch had exactly 1,027 eggs.
It probably wasn't exactly 1027 if you don't remember the exact number on the first count.

Congrats on the breeding!

frogman

Reaction score
It was just the one female, and I counted exactly egg by egg 1,027. I counted into groups of 100 individually and then an additionally 27. It was exactly that number.

Evan

sde

Reaction score
Okay, I just wasn't sure because in your first post you said
When I was done counting I had about 900 (dont remember the exact number).
So that made me think 900 wasn't the exact number.

also what's your secret method?

I too would like to know. But I suppose it is a secret for a reason.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Have fun raising all those eggs and also what's your secret method?
I think there's probably a reason it's called a secret method. Lol. I don't think we will find out what this 'secret method' is! Haha

velasco13000

Reaction score
I don't see why he wouldn't share. Let's not be unselfish here... Besides it's for the better of the species if we know how to breed them better don't you guys think?

frogman

Reaction score
When i meant "I don't remember the exact number" I meant right at the moment I was writing the post. I don't know if I want to tell my secret method. Maybe with some convincing.

sde

Reaction score
Heh, heh, I found it, I knew he had posted it a while back. Now I am not sure what to do? Should I share his secret, or should I keep it between us? Decisions, decisions......

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember though, with knowledge comes responsibility. If everyone knew the secret we'd be knee deep in waltls! ;) :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!