Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my Axolotl ok?

Icemantom2

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m fairly new to axolotls care

first of all, i just bought a new axolotl from a local pet shop. When i arrived and set her in my tank, i realised she had white spots on her. I’m wondering if it could be fungus or if it’s just her normal skin. Also, i just saw that her gills are uneven, is it normal too?
First photo is to show the white spots. Second to show her gills. I know we should not pet axolotls. But every time i put my (WASHED) hand in the tank, she just swims on it and stays in like this, i dont force her. So please dont tell me i should not do that, that’s not my point.
EC949CC2-BB59-4648-8628-0EE493B79B35.jpeg

29C04E6E-7962-4A4D-B190-9B874665BA1C.jpeg
second point, my newest axolotl is very sociable and comes see me everytime i get near my tank. My first and youngest axolotl (which is in the same tank) was never sociable and always hides in a corner of the tank and get scared everytime something moves in the tank.

Next photo is to show how my black a

2EA901CF-6D7A-477D-A4BD-51E9EDB0502E.jpeg

3923E3C7-BABD-4BFA-BE37-97675BF93612.jpeg
i

JM29

Reaction score
These white spots look like iridophores ; nothing bad.
Your black axie doesn't have any of these white spots because it's a melanoid (eyes, without any shining ring), but a wildtype would also have iridophores like your golden albino

Riley_Hatteras

Reaction score
Yep, the spots are just iridophores, it is really great that your axolotl gets excited when you put your hand in the tank, while mine couldn't really care less about what I am doing. I can sometimes gently stroke my axie, but most people will just tell you not to pet your axolotl too often. I think it is fine to pet yours sometimes if it likes interacting with you.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Agree with previous comments. And by the way, they're absolutely gorgeous lotls. My view is that axies have no idea how they're 'supposed' to behave and do exactly as they please. If they want to interact with you, that's their choice. I've had an axie that grew particularly attached to one person in the house and gazed at him adoringly, moved about the tank to be as near to him as possible, and climbed on his hand if he got the chance. He largely ignored the rest of us. Lotls make their own rules! Glad to hear you make sure your hand is clean first though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!