I've done a bit of a bad thing...

fuzzyletters

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a 2.5 gallon aquarium available (once I take the Creek Chub out of it) for a salamander to be collected in the future but have not yet set it up. This, obviously, would not be a problem except that today I captured a Eurycea Cirrigera and am currently housing it with a couple of rocks and some mud in a fairly spacious 'critter keeper' type enclosure (with lid).
If it's the best option, I can release it as it hasn't been fed or come in contact with plants or animals from other ecosystems yet.
Right now I need to know what to do to keep it healthy in its temporary home, and then I need to set up the 2.5 gallon. Immediately I'm most worried about moisture, though I put a bit of creek water in the enclosure to make sure it didn't dry out right away. Once I figure out how to keep him in the short term, I'd like to ask some questions about the long term (if there is one).
I have fish and I understand the nitrogen cycle pretty well etc. I've kept salamanders before, but had no idea what I was doing and they overheated (I was about 8 at the time). I'd like to do it right this time, and although I know I've not put my best foot forward, I hope I can redeem myself.
Thanks... sorry if I've committed a terrible crime. :(

Have a read of this caresheet if you haven’t already: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eurycea/Eurycea_sp.shtml

A simple setup works best. A couple of inches of de-chlorinated water, a few rocks or bricks piled up so that they emerge from the water and a clump of moss on top. If you have an air pump you can aerate the water to give it some movement and replicate a bubbling stream.

My only concern about critter keepers is they have those grilled lids which keep animals in but let small prey items escape. I keep mine in a Rubbermaid style box with a tight fitting lid and a few small air holes. Be warned Eurycea are expert climbers and can squeeze through the smallest of gaps.

Thanks a lot for the quick response... I've got it set up pretty well for right now (about 1'' of water, a few rocks for hidingunder/climbing onto, bubbler for water movement) I think and I'm going to go get some food for him in a minute.

To keep the prey items in, I would suggest putting a piece of cloth between the lid and the remainder of the critter keeper.

Aha... that's a good idea, but for right now I'm just feeding pieces of earthworms by hand. Thanks though. :) Thinking ahead, is it really best to use a sandy substrate for the water portion of a semiaquatic tank? I have rather big gravel that I was hoping to use but if ingestion is a common problem then I won't. Also, would some kind of topsoil or potting soil work instead, perhaps mixed with gravel? I'm going to plant both the aquatic and terrestrial areas, so...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back