Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping kaiseri metamorphs aquatic

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried forcing kaiseri metamorphs to remain aquatic? I'm raising a few hundred and the first batch of morphs crawled up the walls but within a couple of days went back to the water and haven't left since.

Aquatic morphs will be much easier with regards to space and food.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine raised all of his aquatic and they seem to be very ok indeed. I´d have to ask him but i think he had zero losses.

Edit: For whatever is worth, i suspect their ability or willingness to stay aquatic is facultative for the species. Since they inhabit underground water bodies, some of which probably stay viable year-round i would expect they can take advantage of that like other species do.

Last edited:

markusA

Reaction score
I raised them in water for the last two seasons and find it much easier. Some of my juvies keep their gills until size of 11cm! Growth depends on food intake and temperature and can be equal in water and on land.

Did anyone successfully breed such kaiseri that never had a terrestrial phase?
Can they keep their gills (or some parts of it) and get mature?

Attachments

• cb2012.JPG
    cb2012.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 599
  • cb2010.JPG
    cb2010.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 509

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Markus, that's really great to hear and gives me hope.

In the past I've raised far less animals in small containers. When they morph and crawl out they usually become quite reluctant to re-enter the water. This time I'm raising many animals in a large 100 litre tub. I suspect that a large volume of water helps in the decision to become aquatic once again, that and the fact thier food is in the water and a small cork island or vertical tub wall isn't that attractive to a newt.

It'll be interesting to see what percentage I can keep aquatic.

Last edited:

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I have john skillcorns pdf for rearing them aquatic ,if anyone wants it pm me yout email,its quite a good read.I myself have had disaster strike twice both times terrestrial and aquatic
So I can't best advise.I'm too green for this species

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can attach PDF files to posts if you want to share it here :cool:.

Willlis

Reaction score
Ive been keeping mine aquatic for a while now, they did just like you described, metamorphed, climbed the walls, then back to the water after a couple days. I also have 3 that seem to be staying aquatic. Mine are quite happy taking blackworms in the water and fruitflies from the surface.

Griffin8891

Reaction score
The breeder I bought mine from said he kept all of his aquatic.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few of mine have now rejected the aquatic life. Given the option they will crawl out and become terrestrial.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture30658-img-8025.jpg

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's about half there. I've not counted them poperly yet. Somewhere between 150 and 200 at a guess. The CITES office are going to love me.

velasco13000

Reaction score
Hello...I was going to open up a new thread but just decided to add on to this one since it relates to my question. As in regards to keeping the juveniles aquatic vs terrestrial. Whats better for them? I have some in water that keep trying to climb out the wall and a few others that I have had fungus issues with. Are keeping juveniles aquatic more prone to fungus issues or bacterial issues as opposed to keeping them terrestrial. I am deciding whether to set up a terrestrial habitat for some....

sde

Reaction score
Hmm.....Mark can you keep all those sufficiently? I don't see how you can feed all those, so that they all get a worm or two or whatever. Seems like some would not get any worms. Tell me Mark, how do you do it?! I want to know! :D -Seth

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You just need to add lots of food. With that many mouths it's impossible to hand feed or monitor individuals. About 1000 crickets go into that tub each week.

sde

Reaction score
1000! That must cost a fortune! Anyway, I never got how they could do so well on crickets, wouldn't the crickets just hop away? And I didn't think that the crickets are that small. Thanks man, I mite just try that one in the future. :cool:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1