Kinky tail

GadgetInspector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Saphron, one of my son's axolotls, has quite a kink in her tail. We have had her since 6 months old and we can't think of a time she didn't have it. It looks like it's gradually got worse, however I am wondering if this is just that it has got more pronounced due to her growing. Something to worry about would you say, or just a developmental thing? It doesn't seem consistent with the stress-related tail bend I have read about. The tank was fully cycled and she is healthy otherwise, and very well looked-after. Any advice / reassurance much appreciated.

IMG_9682.jpeg

to me it looks like dwarfism (kinky/wavy tails can be a sigh of this). Dwarfism is a genetic condition which causes a foreshortening of the chest area and a smaller than usual adult size. Limbs may also appear shorter than usual, although the axolotl's fingers and toes keep a normal appearance. A dwarfed axolotl is one whose growth stops before reaching adult size, which can be the result of genetic issues (often due to inbreeding) or stunting due to poor husbandry. Unfortunately, they can only live for 5 to 6 years. Defiantly worth reaching.
D8zX6x8X4AU1ysy.jpg
There bodies look out off proportion, and they are smaller.

7948775e-cba0-4401-82f5-b710667ec24b-jpeg.48140
This is an extreme case but it was the only picture I could find.

hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back