Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Laotriton laoensis

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yesterday I heard through the grapevine that it is most likely these animals were captured to be used for food. An advanced hobbyist told me they were supposed to be sold as food and were purchased to be exported as pets.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I would like to show my animals as well. These newts were simply activated by dropping worms into their new homes. After placing the newts into their tanks worms were dropped in right after. I watched a group eat and forage for hours. I couldn't believe how active they were once they smelled the food. Their size is very impressive. My biggest has to be about 7 inches and my smallest has to be shy of 6 inches. Impressive eating right after being placed into their new homes.

Attachments

• IMG_6773.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6773.JPGuse.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_6770.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6770.JPGuse.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_6763.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6763.JPGuse.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_6760.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6760.JPGuse.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_6750.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPGuse.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_6766.JPG
    IMG_6766.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 1,096

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Re: Laotriton laoensis

Yesterday I heard through the grapevine that it is most likely these animals were captured to be used for food. An advanced hobbyist told me they were supposed to be sold as food and were purchased to be exported as pets.

Hello,
I contacted the responsible authority in nature conservation in Laos. She is very angry about this practice and sees the people that take the newts from Laos as thieves. The newts are eaten by the natives since generations – this is not the problem.
But in the last years - although they are protected – they are sold; most for drying, but also for the pet trade.
I think the pet trade is the lesser problem, but in Laos they make no difference.
But they acknowledge that “it is nice” to breed them so successful in Europe!

So – make sure, that you also breed them successful in USA. Breeds hundreds of them, to dry out the illegal import!

Paul

damien

Reaction score
Are all of the L. laoensis exported illegally?

If I may add something to Paul's advice:
Sell your offspring for cheap! If these animals are sold at low prices, exporting them will be far less lucrative.
Selling them for $100+ will only inspire people to steal them from the wild.
If you have 50+ offspring and sell them for like $20, you earn enough money from that.

Let us learn from N. kaiseri.

monkeyfrogman28

Reaction score
Are all of the L. laoensis exported illegally?

If I may add something to Paul's advice:
Sell your offspring for cheap! If these animals are sold at low prices, exporting them will be far less lucrative.
Selling them for $100+ will only inspire people to steal them from the wild.
If you have 50+ offspring and sell them for like $20, you earn enough money from that.

Let us learn from N. kaiseri.

Agree 100%. If we are truely to establish CB populations and slow down stealing these newts, they need to be cheap enough so exporting them is worth it. But Sell the off spring to people who understand how to care for them and not to any Joe Blow out there.

michael

Reaction score
Paul. What permits were involved when you got your Laotriton stock from Laos? Were their collection permits and export and import permits?

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Laotriton laoensis

@Michael, in August 2008, the Lao Department of Forestry listed Laotriton laoensis as protected from commercial trade!
I got them years before.
Paul

Neonetic

Reaction score
The art of self sacrifice. Very necessary here. Before I forget, lovely newts!

michael

Reaction score
So how are you guys doing with your imports?

The Laotriton I received all arrived in great shape and are thriving. I have not given sexing them a great deal of study. I have 1 pair set up in my computer room on the first floor where I am most of the time. They are eating fine and doing well. I have 2 tanks with 4 adults in each tank in the basement where it is a little cooler. They are very active and voracious eaters. All have been eating belgian earthworms, salmon pellets, and reptomin. The ones in the cooler spots are the most aggressive feeders.

freves

Reaction score
The CB ones that I have seem to be doing well. The larger individuals eat without hesitation. The smaller ones either require more coaxing or are best left alone with a section of earthworm.
Chip

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are doing great, eating well. I want to move them to a bigger tank so I'll have to do some thinking and basement rearranging--I want to move three of my species into 40 gallon tanks so I have to find space :p Currently they are in the living room. I haven't looked at them to sex them.
They are so beautiful and I'm just glad they seem to be thriving!

troutnerd

Reaction score
My three are also thriving. I'm pretty sure 2 f and 1 male. They are among the most vigorous and healthy looking newts I've ever had shipped. They are also incredibly beautiful. Mine are making pigs of themselves on fat Canadian nightcrawlers, but they will eat anything. I'm also amazed at how little aggression they show to each other, at least at this point. Perhaps that changes when they get into breeding? I've got them in the basement with the rest of my collection and it's been a cool spring and summer so far. They seem to appreciate the coolness. Amazing creatures anyway.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I get to see mine [finally] at the end of next week.

I bumped into Angus Lee today, and he informs me that the export of this species continues, despite the laws [not that this is a surprise].

Opacum

Reaction score
I was just curious to hear how you all are faring with your Laotritons now that you have had them for awhile. Any breeding interest? ;-)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I know this will sound like I'm saying the illegal animal trade is ok but I'm not. What out there wasn't illegally imported over the years. Bearded Dragons, Frilled dragons etc. Europe wouldn't have anything without the illegal animals imported there over the years. Who hasn't heard the joke. A new species was just discovered......Two Germans got on a plane....
Let's talk about Asian animal laws. No one over there listens to them. Just walk through any market and you can buy whatever bush meat you want. Sh*t Japan still kills whales and calls it research!! These laws are just made to make scientists and wildlife groups happy. It's just lip service. Sure we will protect them. Keep your funding and money coming here. So sadly you are all just wasting your breath talking about illegal animals. Use it on taking these animals that were probably doomed to be in someone's stir fry and breed them. Increase their numbers and get as many of them out there that you can. I know 6 successful N kasieri breeders and a zoo producing offspring every year now. I'm sure this will be true for Laotriton laoensis in a year or two. If you really care exchange knowledge and breed them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!