Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium

caleb

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I found that someone had dumped an opened packet of cheap bourbon biscuits in my front garden. Rather than throw them away, I made them into a medium for lesser waxworms by grinding them up in a blender and mixing with honey & glycerine.

To my surprise, the resulting waxworms were much larger than those from my usual cultures (made with oats, flour, yeast, honey & glycerine). The picture the largest one from the biscuit culture alongside the largest one from a normal culture- the biscuit one is over 2cm.

I wonder if this was due to extra sugar- there must have been an awful lot in the biscuit-based medium.

Attachments

• biscuits.jpg
    biscuits.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 922

juraj

Reaction score
What an invention ! You have developed brand new diet, congrats !
j.

evut

Reaction score
I've had them grow this big on their normal diet of crushed weetabix type biscuits and honey. Sometimes they just grow twice the normal size. I don't keep track of how much honey I use or the temperatures so I can't say what causes it but you're probably right about the extra sugar.

caleb

Reaction score
That's interesting Eva, it's never happened with mine- they are nearly always about 1.5cm max.

I guess I ought to try the biscuits again to see if it was a one-off...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!