Large lesser waxworms from biscuit-based medium

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
A couple of months ago, I found that someone had dumped an opened packet of cheap bourbon biscuits in my front garden. Rather than throw them away, I made them into a medium for lesser waxworms by grinding them up in a blender and mixing with honey & glycerine.

To my surprise, the resulting waxworms were much larger than those from my usual cultures (made with oats, flour, yeast, honey & glycerine). The picture the largest one from the biscuit culture alongside the largest one from a normal culture- the biscuit one is over 2cm.

I wonder if this was due to extra sugar- there must have been an awful lot in the biscuit-based medium.

Attachments

• biscuits.jpg
    biscuits.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 940
What an invention ! You have developed brand new diet, congrats !
j.

I've had them grow this big on their normal diet of crushed weetabix type biscuits and honey. Sometimes they just grow twice the normal size. I don't keep track of how much honey I use or the temperatures so I can't say what causes it but you're probably right about the extra sugar.

That's interesting Eva, it's never happened with mine- they are nearly always about 1.5cm max.

I guess I ought to try the biscuits again to see if it was a one-off...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back