Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leucistic Ensatina

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
A friend of mine took a little trip to our favourite trail today while I was busy working. He desided to surprise me by showing up to my house with a gift. Here are some tiny cell phone quality pictures of the ensatina! These will have to do until the original pictures
(of better quality and greater size) are sent to me.

They are both E.e.klauberi. The one on the right is leucistic! The lighting makes it look orange, it's not!

leek2.jpg

This one is just the female leucistic in better lighting.

leek.jpg

My friend will send me the original pictures of when it was discovered (extremely better quality), so I should be able to post them soon. I hope you enjoy the blurry previews though! All credit for finding the animal goes to Oscar Garcia!

This is the first time I've seen or heard of this, please let me know if you've seen or heard of any leucistic ensatinas. For now, I've been telling it that it's one of a kind! (yes, I really do give praise to my animals verbally).

edited by otterwoman: in case the photobucket pictures don't show or are tiny, I have added pictures that he personally emailed me of this animal. Thanks, B!

He writes:
The First are the original two. The third is an intergrade (klauberii X Eschscholtzii) that shows the orange colorations of the montereys in the area. Although, the brighter oranges may be a result from the klauberii's yellow.

Attachments

• Bruno1.jpg
    Bruno1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 470
  • Bruno2.jpg
    Bruno2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 389
  • FindingBruno067.jpg
    FindingBruno067.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 428
Last edited by a moderator:

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
Okay, here are the original pics.

105_0489.jpg

105_0489-1.jpg

It does not have any pattern. I'm possitive that it is klauberi, it was found where there are no other species (or intergrades), just klauberi. I've found the intergrades too, but these two where found at a different location. Check this one out, an intergrade I found last year with my dad.

FindingBruno067.jpg

FindingBruno065.jpg

rust

Reaction score
Well, the last pic is definitely a hybrid, but the other is probably not leucistic but the nominate form (E.e.eschscholtzii). I've found both the nominate and E.e.klauberi under the same cover on Palomar a couple of times. A leucistic klauberi would probably still have a pattern. Montereys from that area have an odd pale look, unlike specicems from farther north. I found some near Silverwood Lake that were almost gray.

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bummer. But it's still rad. I never knew there was a nominate form.

I didn't even know that there are ensatinas up in Lake Silverwood.

rust

Reaction score
There's actually a couple of good ravines at Silverwood with old growth stands, if they haven't burned since the last time I was there (2001?).

josh

Reaction score
nice hybrid between klauberi and eschscholtzi. the other is a nominate eschscholtzi. dang.. i havnt been out there in a long time. the hybrids are always shocking to find i think because of the color and variability with them. very nice finds. i live in washington state now so its alot harder for me to get to klauberi or croceator range.. but hey, now im that much closer to many other really cool sals to go find... (aneides) hehe

Aneides

Reaction score
Right: Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi, Large- blotched Ensatina
Left:Ensatina eschscholtzii eschscholtzii, Monterey Ensatina
Bottom: Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi X Ensatina eschscholtzii eschscholtzii, Large- blotched Ensatina X Monterey Ensatina

Best Regards,
Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!